3DSMax to UE5 FBX Exporter?

Hi,

I’ve used the TSTools Max to UE4 FBX Exporter a fair bit in the past, and still use it to export multiple FBX meshes from Max to Unreal, however with this being a legacy script and no longer developed, one of it’s features no longer works.

That is the “Copy selected objects names and transforms to clipboard” option. What this did in UE4 was to place a cube static mesh at the exact co-ordinates of the cresponding object from Max. You could then replace the box mesh with your imported mesh, and all of your imported FBX objects are now in the correct location exactly as they were in Max, without having to manually reposition everything in UE.

The issue is this command no longer works. The command the script in Max spits out is like this for example:

Begin Map
Begin Level
Begin Actor Class=StaticMeshActor Name=01_Strctural_Walls Archetype=StaticMeshActor’/Script/Engine.Default__StaticMeshActor’
Begin Object Class=StaticMeshComponent Name=StaticMeshComponent0 ObjName=StaticMeshComponent0 Archetype=StaticMeshComponent’/Script/Engine.Default__StaticMeshActor:StaticMeshComponent0’
End Object
Begin Object Name=StaticMeshComponent0
StaticMesh=StaticMesh’/Engine/EditorMeshes/EditorCube.EditorCube’
RelativeLocation=(X=-798.752,Y=281.394,Z=0.0)
RelativeScale3D=(X=1.0,Y=1.0,Z=1.0)
RelativeRotation=(Pitch=0.0,Yaw=0.0,Roll=0.0)
CustomProperties
End Object
StaticMeshComponent=StaticMeshComponent0
Components(0)=StaticMeshComponent0
RootComponent=StaticMeshComponent0
ActorLabel=“01_Strctural_Walls”
End Actor
End Level
Begin Surface
End Surface
End Map

When posted into UE4 it creates the meshes as I described. When pasted into the UE5 editor, it crashes the editor and gives this error:

LoginId:dbecae3f411a17e05188f1beb04529e3
EpicAccountId:ed1582d74de94311aea09641af17e28b

Assertion failed: FPackageName::IsValidObjectPath(ObjectClass) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorObject.cpp] [Line: 507]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
InkObj
atlthunk
user32
user32
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

If someone can help me figure out the problem so I can manually fix the script that would be really awesome.

For anyone who stumbles upon this post, I managed to find the problem lines in the Maxscript and removed them. Script now works exactly as intended:

TS_UE5FBXExporter.ms (16.4 KB)

2 Likes

When I install this script and reboot 3ds max. It shows this window and didn’t work.

this works indeed

1 Like