3dsmax geometry instances & UE4

In regard to the DirectX definition of Instancing

If I create a teapot in 3dsmax, make 100 clone.instances (not clone.copies), export as fbx and import to UE4 with combine mesh option (without combine mesh option?)

will UE4 do anything special to maintain these instances for optimal performance, or will it simply see 100 teapot copies?

Hey ash22 -

Instances created in 3ds Max if imported into the engine with the combine mesh option to true, would be imported in as one mesh with one pivot point based on the 3ds Max World Origin (0,0,0) with the total number of vertices needed to render out all 101 teapots. On the other hand, if you import it with the combine mesh option to false, it would import the 101 teapots as individual meshes each with a pivot on the 3ds Max World Origin (0,0,0) so it would be offset as it was in Max.

There is no instancing processing when importing. UE4 does have a static mesh instance system to allow items to be instanced in the engine itself once the asset has been imported.

Hope that clarifies for you -

Eric Ketchum

Thanks Eric.

“UE4 does have a static mesh instance system to allow items to be instanced in the engine itself once the asset has been imported.”

Is the same true for skeletal (skinned) meshes? e.g. could a hundred instances of ‘Hero’ be created using the UE4 instance system, or will it only work on static meshes?

The system will currently only allow instancing of static meshes not Skeletal meshes.

-Eric K

Hello!

There is no instancing processing when importing. UE4 does have a static mesh instance system to allow items to be instanced in the engine itself once the asset has been imported.

And how about “Import into Level” button in the editor?
I’ve use It to import whole scene of instanced meshes into level by only 1 fbx file.
Each object in fbx has its own coordinates, and also use the same object for instancing.

Just check “Preserve Instances” when exporting it from MAX to FBX, and then in the UE4 go to “File\Import Into Level”, find that FBX to import and editor ask you for options for import.
I use “static mesh” option by the way.

Can anyone tell me, why most people want to place static meshes by hand in the editor, rather then do it automatically after import? it’s hard

I love you, I was looking whole internet for this answer ! Just dont get it why is import into level different than import button ??? can you tell me offtopic how do i import map channels from max to ue, and why do i have two lightmap index and destination index?

I love this guy also!

Big Thansk !!! :slight_smile: