3ds max can't open because of datasmith

Hi,
I was using datasmith with 3ds max 2023 and UE5.1 and it was working fine. But I switched to 3ds max 2024 and UE5.3. I installed datasmith but now, 3ds max 2024 open but crash immediately. When I uninstall datasmith, 3ds max works fine again. Does anyone know how I can fix that problem ?
Thank you and have a great day

1 Like

Hello we are aware of the isse but we cannot reproduce that bug on our machines.
What language version of max are you all using?

Can you send us the installation log?

1. deinstall the exporter
  2. reinstall from the command line
    something similar to
    msiexec.exe /i PATH_TO_UnrealDatasmithMaxExporter_5.3.0.msi /lvx* C:\Temp\MaxInstallDatasmith.log
    and share the MaxInstallDatasmith.log with us

Hey, I can’t attach the log to this conversation ! Says "Sorry, new users can not upload attachments

Same Problem here. I even installed Windows and all drivers again. I upgraded from 3DS Max 2023 to 2024. But with Datasmith installed, nether Versions work. The programm launches to the point where I can see the programsurface where i can pick a project and then it crashed (even without picking anything and just waiting 5-10 secounds)

1 Like

Try with datasmith exporter 5.2, while we are figuring out what is going wrong with Max 2024.
Do you have any other plugins installed inside your Max 2024? Which ones?

I am using Max 2024 blank without any Plugins (besides Datasmith), only for editing Polygons/Meshes without Textures.

Hi, I have same problem with max 2023 and 2024, after datasmith installed, max crash. Can you help us please? thanks

1 Like

I have the same problem with 3ds max 2022

1 Like

Yes we are aware of issues with Datasmith Max Exporter 5.3

IF you have an older version than Max 2024 you can stick to Datasmith Exporter 5.2.
Else you can try to change your “Decimal separator” in your regional options from comma to dot.