3D Widget Crashing Standalone Mode On Construct

I have 3D widgets that are aligned to the player’s camera in-game. They have no other functionality aside from having their text set on startup. They run fine in the editor, but as soon as I launch a test in standalone mode, I get a crash before they can be displayed and get the following error:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderingPolicy::DrawElements() + 1977 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slaterhirenderer\private\slaterhirenderingpolicy.cpp:315]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlate3DRenderer::DrawWindowToTarget_RenderThread() + 751 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slaterhirenderer\private\slate3drenderer.cpp:113]
UE4Editor_UMG!TGraphTask<`UWidgetComponent::TickComponent'::`15'::EURCMacro_UWidgetComponentRenderToTexture>::ExecuteTask() + 481 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:667]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasks() + 3125 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:428]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() + 77 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:271]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() + 183 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:282]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() + 58 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:385]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() + 102 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:73]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() + 93 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:26]
kernel32 + 88525 bytes
ntdll + 178321 bytes

Any idea if there’s a workaround for this? It’s pretty vital for my project and time is of the essence.

Hello ADaurio,

I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed set of steps in order to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any blueprints that may be involved with this issue?

I can’t seem to reproduce this issue in a fresh project. This is the blueprint I’m using in both the new and old projects to rotate the 3D widget. Nothing else is ever done to the 3D widget aside from setting its text dynamically on startup.

The ‘Scene’ component is rotated in place of the 3D widget to act as a proxy pivot.

Hello ADaurio,

If you get the position of the player pawn instead of the camera do you still get the crash?

Hello ADaurio,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

This just happend to me to with same error log in 4.8.2. After doing the same thing in a new actor and a new widget the crash doesnt happen anymore.

Edit: The crash only happens in standalone or packaged games as well.

Hello,

With the information that you provided and after doing a bit of digging I believe this is a known issue (UE-16915). It has been sent to the developers for further consideration. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day

I think I found a way how to produce the same error log for this.

Make a third 3person bp project with actor containing a 3d widget. Then set the custom size of the widget to 8000*4000. Put in a text component with font size 700.

In the actor exp. widget set same size for the 3d widget and pivot x and y to 0. With event tick inside the actor get the game time and put in set text for text widget.

This crash happens on my pc with only 8gb ram and r290.Sometimes it only crashes in standalone

Edit: It seams that only text size 700 alone in the widget text can crash the editor when beeing modified over 3d widget.

spaceharry you saved our lives!
It was 3 days wandering around this crazy crash… we just removed a setfont inside the tick event of a userwidget blueprint… et voilà!
It doesn’t crash anymore!

Please Epic fix this!

Currently ran into this issue in 4.10. Had a font in a 3d widget that was over 800. After updating the text 3 times the editor would crash. Lowered font size fixed the issue.