3D tiles for strategy game

Hi,

I am working on a RTS game and I am currently stuck at basic level design. I wanted to build the maps like Starcraft 2 does it, using tiles. I don’t want to make a map editor. I just want to assemble the map in the engine. I basically only have 2 different tiles. A rectengular block as the “ground” of the map and a cliff block. I just change the materials on them for different looks of the map. My problem is I need a way to blend the materials of different blocks so that the transition of blocks does not have a hard cut. I just can’t figure out how to do that. I allready posted this question in the Rendering section but got no answer. I think Content Creation is better suited for it. Maybe somebody can help me or even tell me a different approach that works better. Thnaks

My current situation

Starcraft 2

Blend in the texture itself, have a set of boundary textures, either at the top of the cliff or cliff texture into 1 or more sides of the land. They are tiles anyway, so you can be as creative as you like using the texture faces for transitions.

you could use world aligned textures to let them spread over several tiles, and apply some noise textures to decrease the tiling effect

Maybe you can use Victor A.'s blend material https://gumroad.com/l/BVVFy# here.