Download

3D model .fbx export

Hi everyone!

I currently have a problem with a model that I exported from Maya to UE4 with fbx. Apparently whenever we export it into UE4, the character model does not pose according to the armor. It appears that the model needs to be rigged with the UE4 Maya rigging tool. I was wondering if there is anyone willing to take a look at the problem, and perhaps have it fixed. We are wiling to compensate by receiving payment in exchange of your talent fee. The image appears as so:

ea0c0bfc315a6c4d386ea0e36de2332b.png31b5f5d15274c02728937afaff0dcaa0.png Click to enlarge

If anyone could give their professional opinion it would be greatly appreciated.

I have actually had the same problem. I noticed if it’s rigged with the default Maya stuff unless done just right it gives odd errors if you import it as a skeletal mesh. Since you are using Maya there is a tool you can use to rig that’s made for UE4. I ran in to the issue cause atm our modeler doesn’t have a a copy yet and had issue with the company licensing (not going to get in to that) the model “works” but if I import it via Skeletal mesh it either gives errors galore if I make it a single mesh or if I do it as seperate everything is messhing up. I would try the rigging tool they have for Maya if you have a sub still. Hope that helps.

That’s not so, I haven’t used Jeremy’s A.R.T Maya tools at all and I’ve managed to import many characters with additional meshes skinned to the main skeleton. What that looks like in your image is that you’ve not rigged it properly in Maya. It’s difficult to say without seeing your Maya scene file, but the armour hasn’t been bound to the bind pose properly!
All the A.R.T tools are for - is an automatic pipeline for rigging, the don’t posses a magic solution to rigging. So whether you use Maya, 3ds Max or blender, the tools aren’t the problem.

Off the top what would be helpful is to make available the actual character and rig source used prior to import as there are some basic rules that needs to be followed to ensure continuity of the source chain.

Rule one is the the animations must match the naming convention used on the rig as well as the key-frames loaded align with the rigs world translation else you will land up with the result in the above example. In this case the naming is right but the transform orientation is wrong (ie if your FK is left to right instead of up and down then the additive value is going to rotate the joint in that direction).

I’ve yet to see any info on the subject but knowing the joint orientation as to being able to use the animations out of the box is rather important if one is doing their rigging outside of the supplied tool chain.

The good news is since you did manage to get to this stage then all else that came before the problem is working properly and you can test the continuity of your current design by adding a few animations that matches the rig (full range of motion tests works great for this) and if it does work as expected I would recommend continuing to work with your own rig design and just replace the out of the box animation sets.

You may have two different bind poses. Try re-importing your skeletal meshes with the “Use T0 as Ref Pose” checked. It’s under the Advanced option. This will make the zero frame of your Maya file the ref pose for your skeletal meshes.