3D game graphic card error

Whenever I load a 3D game in the editor my graphics card crashes. The error says, “Video driver crashed and was reset! Make sure your video drivers are up to date. Exting…” This specifically happens on 3D games but does not happen with paper 2D games. I also want to say that it worked the first time but after that I kept on getting that error.

Hey WaterMiner,

Can you send me your dxdiag info? Also what driver version are you on?

I don’t know what a dxdiag is, but my driver is Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500.

Hey WaterMiner,

That’s alright, here are some steps:

1. Bring up your start menu
  2. In the search field, type dxdiag.exe
  3. Along the bottom of the dxdiag window, select “Save All Information”
  4. Save it somewhere
  5. Attach to your comment on answerhub

Thanks,

Should I save it as .txt or .xml?

Nevermind. Here it is!

Hi WaterMiners,

Unfortunately we don’t recommend running on PC’s with Integrated Graphics (Such as the Intel HD Graphics series). We’ve had very mixed results with them ourselves. It depends too much on sucking up the rest of your resources to be reliable. Some i7 and i5 CPU’s can run the editor on default maps, but still struggle with anything more than the basics.

I’m leaving this description here for anybody who may run into this:

Integrated Graphics are on your CPU and use your system RAM as Video RAM(VRAM) whereas discrete graphics(typically from Nvidia or AMD) have their own VRAM built in. This causes a bottleneck in the RAM department when there is a heavy need for the Integrated Graphics.

So, you’re saying I should buy a new graphics card?

Well, yes. However your CPU is also under spec on clock speed as well.

I had meant to include this link in my last message. My bad. A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

It says in your dxdiag that it’s a laptop though. If it does have some way of adding a Graphics Card, that would be great. If not, there are some solutions such as an external graphics card or a PCI Express adapter for a laptop. The PCI Express adapter would allow you to purchase a desktop Graphics Card and use that, but it’s not a very portable solution. You’ll still have a CPU that is under our recommenced specs though.