3D Environment Artist
Cyan Inc. (creators of the MYST franchise and pioneers of the adventure/puzzle genre) are currently seeking a talented 3D Environment Artist to join our team in Spokane, WA. Here at Cyan, we have a creative studio atmosphere, a great group of friendly developers, and a challenging game project we are all passionate about. Help us to build Obduction, the spiritual successor to MYST and Riven, from the studio that started it all.
We are looking for an experienced 3D Environment Artist who is highly collaborative, communicative, and self-motivated. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing raw assets, developing polished game-spaces, and maintaining a high level of quality throughout. 3D Generalists with proven excellence using Unreal Engine 4 are preferred.
- Produce game artwork including but not limited to: High/Low poly models (3DSMax and Zbrush), UV manipulation, Texture/Normal baking, Texture map authoring, Modular scene assembly, Lighting, LOD/Optimization, and all other aspects of game art production.
- Work independently and in-tandem with the Art Director and Game Designers to develop game spaces from initial concept to finished product.
- Learn & utilize custom toolsets and workflows specific to the requirements of the project.
- Maintain flexibility and a positive attitude while working on a wide range of tasks.
- Contribute to the overall success of the project with creative ideas, and intelligent feedback for improving the gameplay, production process, and the custom toolset.
- Informally mentor/advise other art team members, as the need arises.
- Take ownership of assets/areas produced, and make revisions as necessary.
- Be conscious of production schedules, and be responsible for meeting milestone deadlines.
- Advanced proficiency in 3D Studio Max, ZBrush, and Photoshop.
- Fluency in modern game-art production methodology and techniques.
- Strong visual eye for composition, lighting, and detail/polish.
- Ability to work with minimal direction, take initiative, and adapt to evolving project needs.
- Excellent communication skills, both in person and via email/IM.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
- Proven Unreal Engine 4 proficiency
- Familiarity with SVN (or similar revision control systems)
- Previous experience in Adventure and/or First Person game development
Cyan is located in Spokane, a city of roughly a half a million, located in eastern Washington (the sunny side of the state) in the foothills of the Bitterroot Mountains. The sky is high and the cost of living is low. It’s less than an hour drive to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho (a beautiful lake resort area); a 45 minute flight to Seattle; a day’s drive to Yellowstone, Glacier, and Banff Springs National parks; a half-day flight to Hawaii; and a world away from the rat race.
Please send a CV/Resume and provide links to your portfolio and/or demo reel to [EMAIL=“email@example.com”]firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants without a portfolio WILL NOT be considered.