Scene depth particle collision works in all levels but one

So this one has me stumped… I’ve got a simple GPU particle effect with scene depth collision enabled and it works perfectly in all of my levels… except for one. In this one particular level, the rest of the particle works but the scene depth collision seems to be turned off. I’ve tested the meshes - they’re fine. I’ve check particle LOD’s, they’re fine.

It seems to be something about this one level that causes the collision not work. Any ideas what to look at next?

!

Hey SVR33,

This is a known issue with Particle Collision breaking when inside a Planar Reflection Bounding Box you can see the ticket here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-35115)

We have a fix set for 4.15

I hope that helps,

Ed

Hi Ed, for the input but I’m not using any kind of planar reflections in my project, so I don’t think this is the reason.

Alright, that may mean some other type of asset or volume may cause the particle collision to fail that we are unaware of.

If you can, make a copy of your map and steadily remove content and check fairly often to see if the collision starts working again. I think that would be the best method to see what is causing the bug.

Luckily, you have maps where the collision still works so you can compare what is different to see what might be causing the issue. Make sure you save a copy of your map and use that for testing that will help prevent you from ruining your project.

If you are having trouble narrowing down the cause, you could upload a small sample project that reproduces the issue and I can investigate.

Hi Ed, I think I’ve finally got a solid lead on what’s going on and would like to bounce it off you. I started noticing a couple other strange things in this one particular level and I’m now thinking it’s all related to texture memory. First, I noticed some texture popping, then my masked materials were no longer casting shadows and occasionally my 4k textures were being displayed very blurry (seemingly 128x128) and finally I started having issues with widgets just disappearing. Needless to say, I’ve been chasing down a lot of different leads.

This level has a handful of 4k textures and a few massive skyboxes, but that’s it, for the most part - it’s very basic. I changed my texture pool size up to an overkill value of 10,000 and the editor claims I’m still using 97% of that, which simply can’t be right. I’ve kept lightmap resolution low and turned off ‘cast shadows’ on all but a handful of small meshes.

Does any of this make sense to you? Would the editor start disabling features like scene depth particle collision, shadows, reduce texture resolution if the texture pool was overloaded?

I’m trying to learn about the texture streaming pool and why this is happening, but unfortunately, it seems this documentation has been wiped. Any thoughts?

Hi SVR33,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will follow up.