Subsurface Profile Material broken in 4.14

Hello, i’ve upgraded my project to 4.14.1 and the only thing i noticed that is broken was a material that i have that uses subsurface profile, for some reason the subsurface parts are white, this didn’t happen in 4.13:

Any idea why this is happening?

I’ve tried creating a new material with a new subsurface profile with black color and it also gives me white, am i doing something wrong?

Hi xlar8or,

Thank you for submitting a bug report. This issue has already been logged and reported here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-39850)

The material will look strange in the preview but is fine in the scene. If you want to use the old method for Subsurface Profile open your console with tilde ( ` ) and type r.SSS.Checkerboard 1

You can track the report’s status as the issue is reviewed by our development staff. Please be aware that this issue may not be prioritized or fixed soon.

Cheers,

Thank you very much and i apologize the duplicate issue. It will be fine in the scene in daylight, if you do a night scene with lights you’ll see the issue perfectly, so it’s not only on preview :slight_smile:

Thank you for the added information, when I tested for this I didn’t see this behavior in the scene even with dim lighting. Could you elaborate on your lighting set up so that I may experience this behavior in the scene.

Here is a screen for reference.

Sorry i only saw this reply now. I just have a regular material using subsurface profile shading model. After doing some experimentations i found out that the cause of the issue is using a particle system with a light on its composition. Regular light actors seem to work fine.

Hey xlar8or,

Thank you for pointing out that information. I have reproduced this behavior and logged a ticket: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-41814)

You may track the issue as it is reviewed by or development staff. Keep in mind this may not be prioritized or fixed soon. You will see in the ticket that a fix for this is to revert the behavior of subsurface profile shading by using the CVar r.sss.checkerboard set the value to 1 and that should fix it.

!