[editor warning] runtime-added physics Constraint warns of null actors

In blueprints, I use the “add physics constraint component” node. In 4.13 no warning was given, but in 4.14 it now warns that the actors are null, with the warning “Warning Constraint NewBlueprint_78 attempting to create a joint between two null actors.”. Apart from that, it’s working as intended as far as I can notice, it’s just a bit annoying to get those warnings.

Hi ste1nar,

I was able to reproduce these warnings but only when the Components for the PhysicsConstraintComponent were set to None. This is expected behavior and exactly what that warning is for. Once I set the Components, the warning message goes away.

Are you still seeing the warning even after the components are set? If so, could you post repro steps and screenshots showing your setup?

Thanks,

TJ

Ah, I’m sorry I did not make myself clear. The components I wish to add constraint to is not set through the scene, but rather depends on a overlap event, and then that actors component is used.

So I’m using a physics constraint component node, but the actors are not set in that node, but instead set in the “set constrained components”.

As for your question if I see warnings after setting the components - I’m actually unable to select an actor. trying the “select actor from scene” button, the dropdown list, or the “use selected”, it always remains as “none”. Though, i do not intend to use these for now.

Ah okay, thanks for the additional info. I was able to reproduce this and while investigating I found that another issue was reported that I believe is also the root cause of this one. It’s JIRA UE-36089.

I commented to the developer and linked your AnswerHub post along with additional info.

Cheers,

TJ