UE 4 crashing

I should mention beforehand that I’m trying to run the UE4 editor Shooter Game sample on a 12 inch Retina MacBook (2016 m3 model). Sounds crazy, but I wanted to see if it was possible to get even basic projects working on it. The error I am getting is as follows:

FGenericPlatformMisc::RaiseException(unsigned int) Address = 0x103ee050b (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] FOutputDeviceMacError::Serialize(wchar_t const*, ELogVerbosity::Type, FName const&) Address = 0x1040bad36 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] FOutputDevice::Logf(wchar_t const*, ...) Address = 0x104138727 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] FDebug::AssertFailed(char const*, char const*, int, wchar_t const*, ...) Address = 0x104133e9b (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] FMetalBoundShaderState::PrepareToDraw(FMetalContext*, FMetalHashedVertexDescriptor const&, FMetalRenderPipelineDesc const&, MTLRenderPipelineReflection**) Address = 0x136a58051 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib] FMetalContext::PrepareToDraw(unsigned int) Address = 0x136a411ec (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib] FMetalRHICommandContext::RHIDrawIndexedPrimitive(FRHIIndexBuffer*, unsigned int, int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int) Address = 0x136a44c6b (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib] DrawRectangle(FRHICommandList&, float, float, float, float, float, float, float, float, FIntPoint, FIntPoint, FShader*, EDrawRectangleFlags, unsigned int) Address = 0x1130589ac (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib] FRCPassPostProcessSelectionOutline::Process(FRenderingCompositePassContext&) Address = 0x112fe8407 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib] FRenderingCompositionGraph::RecursivelyProcess(FRenderingCompositeOutputRef const&, FRenderingCompositePassContext&) const Address = 0x113070cd2 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib] FRenderingCompositePassContext::Process(FRenderingCompositePass*, wchar_t const*) Address = 0x11306eb1d (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib] FPostProcessing::Process(FRHICommandListImmediate&, FViewInfo const&, TRefCountPtr&) Address = 0x112fc6e7c (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib] FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::Render(FRHICommandListImmediate&) Address = 0x112c13c93 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib] FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily(FCanvas*, FSceneViewFamily*)::EURCMacro_FDrawSceneCommand::DoTask(ENamedThreads::Type, TRefCountPtr const&) Address = 0x1132c37ed (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib] TGraphTask::ExecuteTask(TArray&, ENamedThreads::Type) Address = 0x1133252bb (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib] FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread(int, bool) Address = 0x103f23d00 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit(int) Address = 0x103f1f705 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] FTaskGraphImplementation::ProcessThreadUntilRequestReturn(ENamedThreads::Type) Address = 0x103f1be91 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] RenderingThreadMain(FEvent*) Address = 0x10ad36324 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-RenderCore.dylib] FRenderingThread::Run() Address = 0x10ad4ca77 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-RenderCore.dylib] FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() Address = 0x103f70428 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) Address = 0x103f36011 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib] _pthread_body Address = 0x7fff8a8e199d (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib] _pthread_body Address = 0x7fff8a8e191a (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib] thread_start Address = 0x7fff8a8df351 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]

Another thread I found states that this issue was fixed in OS X 10.11.6, which I am currently on. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Hello? Anyone?

Hey-

Can you provide more information about when this crash occurs so that we can try to reproduce the issue on our end?
Also, please provide as many of the following as possible:

1. Your Mac’s specs. You can find this in the Apple menu >About This Mac>More Info> Add the information from this window (serial # not necessary).
  2. The “System Report:” Apple menu >About This Mac > System Report>Hardware (All information listed in the “Hardware Overview.”) You can cut and paste this information or provide screen shots, whichever is more convenient.
  3. If the Crash Reporter window is present when the crash occurs, select “Copy Callstack to the Clipboard,” and paste that information in a document and add to this post. Be sure to hit “Submit” on the Crash Reporter pop-up to send the Crash Report to Epic.
  4. The UE4.log (Located: ~/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/Editor/)
  5. The ProjectName.log (Located: ~/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/ProjectNameEditor/)
  6. Are you using the editor from the launcher or a source built version of the engine from GitHub?
  7. Does this occur when trying to open the editor itself or a specific project?

Providing this information and appropriate logs will help us track down and isolate the source of the bug as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Hello , thank you for your response. I have attached a folder containing everything you requested.

This happens when trying to open the Shooter Game project, and also for a blank project template that I made. The editor itself opens fine, as I am able to select projects to open.

Hey-

Thank you for the requested files. This crash is a known issue that you can follow here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-34355) . This appears to be fixed for 4.13 by updating your OS too 10.12. Let me know if you still have issues.

Cheers

Thank you for your help, ! I appreciate it!