Capsule shadows in VR (Oculus CV1/)

Hi there, firstly I just wanted to say how incredible capsule shadows are, I feel greedy for even reporting the bug since they’re so amazing, seriously. My deepest gratitude for these features! Oh and thank you for lighting channels! <3

Anyway let me try to describe the problem (since I don’t know how/if I can take screenshots of what the HMD sees):

When looking at a capsule shadow in VR from extremely close up, everything looks great but as I move away, each eye starts seeing a differing amount of the same shadow ‘eroding’ away as distance is increased causing visual discomfort; it’s almost as if there is a stair-stepped ‘edge wipe’ transition happening to the shadow from right-to-left for the left eye view and from left-to-right in the right eye view, and the amount of ‘wiping’ that it does is tied to how far I am from the shadow itself; moving more than probably 10m away and the shadow is gone completely in VR. With some crappy Photoshopping I’ve tried to illustrate what it looks like in the left and right eye view respectively when positioned a few meters away from the shadow:

And here’s what it should look like:

87338-orig.jpg

Happy to provide any more details; thank you!!

Hello Bearot,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any blueprints that may be involved?

Thank you for the reply Rudy!

Managed to reproduce it easily in a clean project using an Infiltrator mesh from Showdown (no blueprints), here were my steps:

• Create new project (4.11.1, empty, sky w/plane)
  • Open Showdown VR Demo 4.11:
  • Migrate SK_Infiltrator mesh, skeleton and physics asset to new project
  • In new project: Open SK_Infiltrator mesh, under Details>Physics>Physics Asset select SK>Infiltrator_PhysicsAsset and do the same thing again just below for Lighting>Shadow Physics Asset
  • Save Asset
  • Drag SK_Infiltrator mesh into the scene
  • In Details panel for SK_Infiltrator go to Lighting>(down arrow to expand)>Capsule Direct Shadow
  • *Direct and Indirect seem to both exhibit the same issue
  • The shadow should appear just fine in the viewport but in VR preview on my Rift I see the same issues from the screenshots on my rig (Win8.1, i7 4790k, 970).

Thanks again,
-Barrett Phillips

Appears as though there is no issue on DK2 or at least on my friend’s 960 rig on 4.11.1, capsule shadows appeared properly so the problem looks specific to consumer Oculus Rift (CV1) at least, no change with latest 4.11.2 hotfix.

I’m having the exact same issue with HTC . Interesting thing is that I saw this working months ago with DK2 with the master branch.

Interesting, DK2 worked fine for me too… thank you for checking them on the ! Edited the post to reflect, hope that’s ok.

I have the same issue here with the consumer Oculus Rift, I haven’t tried with the DK2.

Hello Bearot,

Thank you for the additional information. However, I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. Would it be possible for you to provide the sample project that you are seeing this issue with? This will insure that we are on the same page.

Hello Bearot,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

I’ll provide you with the project files tomorrow to reproduce the issue if Bearot doesn’t.

Here is the download link to a simple project where you can see the issue happening:
https://we.tl/TePuuHTCmD

Thank you Norman! And apologies Rudy for the delay, out of town for a bit. I went ahead and packed up my test scene too just for completeness’ sake: Dropbox - CapsuleShadowsVRTest.rar - Simplify your life

I was able to reproduce this issue on our end. I have written up a report ( UE-30374) and I have submitted to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day

If this helps our QA team is also reporting this bug when using the Pre. You need to stand between 3-10 meters away from the actor utilizing the capsule shadows and it is more apparent if you close either your right or left eye. Also, the shadows completely disappear in our project once your are ~10 meters away as mentioned above.

Seems to be fixed in the master branch! Tested it and it works great now! I guess it will make it for 4.13.

I’ll take a peek, thanks for the info!

Thank you so much for your attention on this Rudy! Thanks also Cameron, Mario and Norman for contributing. And of course whoever managed to fix the bug, thank you especially! <3