Black layer blocking a point light (orthographic).

Hey,

while using a point light with orthographic camera, in the very center of the map (moreless 700 units to both sides) it is ok, but on the left, right side the light just dissappear or this black layer appears. Tried with two different projects.

57569-second+black.png

57570-first+black.png

Thank you :wink:

Hello Seeder98,

From what you describe and the screenshots that you posted, whenever you move a point light to either the left or right of center screen you get a blackness or a a circular black layer appears.

It appears that your layers are not being separated on screen. If you move your light then the other layers are visible.

I would like to test this in a controlled test on my machine.

If you would link me your .uproject file, your content and config folders, and your DxDiag of your machine. I will then attempt to recreate the issue you are having in a project on my computer.

Thank you,

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Here are requested files :wink:
link text

Please, let me know after you download that file, i will remove it.

A point light on character has default intensity = 0.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello Seeder,

I have downloaded your game and I have played it in 4.9.

However, This is the result.

All of the textures are black. Whenever I collide with the ball, I receive no energy and I don’t glow.

Even with that. I can move back and forward past the light and I do not see the light becoming faded out or disappearing behind a layer. If you would clarify if this is what I should see and if projects is returning expected behavior.

Thank you,

I just discovered another thing, which seems weird to me. If i place “P_Steam_Lit” particle system from a “Particles” folder it’s like behind that Box background even if the background is much more deeper. Again, onlny while using an orthographic camera.

This is an orthographic view:

And this is the exact same thing only with a perspective view:

Hello Seeder98,

I believe this could be an issue where some of your objects could be outside of their bounds. This causes all kinds of issues from culling to lighting issues.

This is the link to our documentation on this issue.

Entering the commands r.HBZocclusion 1 should help with this issue.

What is occurring is the calculation of pixels and bounds whenever your object is off of the screen.

Blueprint components, often times, can be set to inherit the bounds of their parent, which can cause issues if the parent has smaller bounds than the child.

There are several work around steps for this.

Disable all occlusion culling for your screen by going to Project settings > Rendering > Occlusion culling and checking the box off.a.) Since you are wanting this utilized on static meshes this may not be the best option. This will disable all occlusion for your project.

In the viewport under Show > Visualize > Out of bounds pixels. Check this on and then enter the command r.VisualizeOccludedPrimitives 1 to see, in your scene, what is being occluded behind what you’re looking at.

The last option, is there is a console command r.hzbocclusion 1. This defines which occlusion is being used. This will allow for a more accurate calculation of your bounds.

More specifically in your meshes if the parent is exceeding the area of the bounding box then the parts of the mesh will disappear or remain on the screen after the bounding box moves completely off camera.

Look into these options and documentation and let me know what you find,

Thank you,

Hello,

the only thing, which is wrong here is that default material of PaperTerrain.

Sorry, i forgot to mention it, you can just go near to the ball and hold down LShift to get energy (increase intensity of a point light on character). Anyway this issue is caused whit every point light (except from the point light on that ball), you can just place one somewhere and click play.

Hello Seeder98,

I just tested the above mentioned steps with absolutely no results. I went back into your project and scaled your absorbable light bp. As soon as I did that, as long as I was still within the influence radius, I saw no black layer being called. As soon as I left it, it came back.

I do not know what the issue is. However, I have isolated it to that blueprint.

Thanks,

Hello,

So did i.

I don’t get it, how can absorbable light bp can affect characters’s point light ? I tired scale, move, delete absorbable light bp with no result at all. I still see that black layer.

The reason why i think this is a bug instead of my mistake is that it also happen when i just create a new project (2D Side Scroller) and place a point light in it.

In an orthographic view you can see a little edges of that “black layer”, even in the new almost “untouched” project.

When i switch to a perpective view it starts working just fine.

What i know is that it only happens with the point lights while using an orthographic camera or just a front view while editing.

And something tells me that those two issues are caused by the same thing.

Hello Seeder98,

The fact that I can reproduce this issue on my end leads me to believe that this is a bug. This issue seems relatively similar to another users issue.

As in the other thread, there is a Bug entered. The number is UE-7019. I can add this thread to the list of comments on the bug in hopes to speed the process along of handling this issue.

Currently not all lights are supported in all views. Orthographic views seem to be causing the most issues.

Thank you very much for reporting this. I will keep you posted on this bugs progress as it comes in.

Thank you,

Hello,

Ok, thank you !

And what about those particle effects not showing up ? (It’s not just a steam particle, the same issue comes with a fire particle from a starter content and a lot more others.)

Hello,

It could be related. I’ll have to investigate further on that one. I’ll see what I can find.

Hello,

I found an interesting way to produce this bug on a Spot Light.
All you need to do is move an orthographic camera by -10 in X axis (local depth) by a timeline. This is not that serious bug but at least you’ll know it’s not just a point light.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Thank you !