[4.8p2] SteamVR Plugin Crashes Packaged Build on Launch

Creating a packaged build of my project with SteamVR as the only HMD crashes. If I disable SteamVR and package with just the Oculus plugin as the only HMD there is no crash, so it is definitely specific to the SteamVR plugin. I tried starting the packaged project both with and without the HMD connected/turned on. I’m using a DK2 for testing and everything works great in the editor. I’m building from latest GitHub sources as of 20150518’s (yesterday’s) latest checkin.

Unfortunately it didn’t output a stack trace to the log file but only popped it up as a message. I’m typing up the stack trace from a photo in case that helps, but packaging a project as x64 with SteamVR should be enough to test.

_delayLoadHelper2()
_tailMerge_steam_api64_dll()
FSteamVRHMD::Startup()
FSteamVRHMD::FSteamVRHMD()
FSteamVRPlugin::CreateHeadMountedDisplay()
UEngine::InitializeHMDDevice()
UEngine::Init()
UGameEngine::Init()
FEngineLoop::Init()

Hello ,

I was able to reproduce what I believe is the issue that you are seeing. I was not able to get a crash but I was able to get the build to fail by simply packaging with the plugin enabled. I have written up a report ( UE-15827) and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day

Did you build from source or use 4.8p2/3? The package failing to build may have been in 4.8p2 as my build was a few commits away from 4.8p3 it may be beyond that and more of an issue starting up. If you attached the pseudo-stack trace above to the issue that might help track it down as well.

Thanks again,
It IS a great day!

Hello ,

Can you reproduce the crash in a clean project? To answer your question, I tried to reproduce this issue in 4.8 preview 3. If you can reproduce this in a clean project could you provide a detailed list of steps in order to reproduce the crash on our end?

I can try when I get home tonight. In terms of the packaging error, I did find that the first time I package I might get some symbol error during linking and then a second build would succeed. I’m building from sources as my project needs it so I haven’t tried the binary version to see if that makes a difference.

Looks like this bug is fixed with JJ’s latest checking and I can confirm that SteamVR both packages and runs fine for me in a package build.

It was a great day!

Hello ,

I am happy to hear that you have got everything working. If the problem returns please feel free to reopen this thread and add any additional information.

Make it a great day