4.7.2 FBX Import Bug

On Mac OS X, there is a problem with FBX SkeletonMesh Import in versions: 4.7.2, 4.7.1, and 4.7.0.

Here is the FBX Import in versions 4.6 and before:

Here is the EXACT SAME FBX Import in versions 4.7.2, 4.7.1 and 4.7.0:

For now, I use 4.6 to import the mesh then migrate it to 4.7 project.

Hey KINGandKONG,

This looks similar to a issue that was reported with ticket UE-6598. Unfortunately, this ticket is still open at the moment.

Can you provide any other information about how you’ve setup the character seams, if there is any tessellation going on in the material, number of materials being used for the skin, or any other relevant information?

I need steps to reproduce the error and knowing how things have been setup may help with that. If you are willing you can provide the asset and I can verify more quickly if this is the same issue as the one that has already been reported. If not, I can try to reproduce based on any notes you provide.

If you’re willing to share you can link here or send privately to me via a link in a private message on the forums.

Let me know.

Hi ,

I’m attaching hair.fbx and the screenshot of fbx import rules I use to import the simple hair model without any materials or textures. You will see the spikes in 4.7 vs the clean import in 4.6.

One thing to note is I used fbx binary 2014 to create the hair.fbx, I was just now wondering if the 4.7 is using the 2015 fbx version!

Thanks,

Site would not accept the fbx upload, so I put it on my server with the link below.

hair.fbx[link text][2]

No FBX 2015 support yet. I don’t have an eta of when that will be updated though. Thank you for the asset and settings. I’ll look into this very soon.

I’m not able to get anything similar with this setup. I’d imagine you’re using some tessellation of some sort in the material. Using a tessellated material in this instance doesn’t work for me either.

If you’re using multiple materials that have tessellation though this would be reported with UE-6598.

Hey ,

I use no tessellation. On Mac OS X, I can import hair.fbx on any version prior to 4.7 with no problem, however on all 4.7 versions the imported mesh has spikes on mesh.

Are you importing the fbx on Mac or Windows?
What does importing hair.fbx on 4.6 vs 4.7 looks on your computer?

I just finished running a test on Mac. I tested this with 4.7.2 and was able to see the spikes:

I was not getting this on the Windows version. I next tested this with out latest internal build on Mac and the issue has been resolved. This should fix any issues you’re seeing on Mac with this when 4.8 releases.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause in the interim.

Awesome, Thanks

same problem here

exporting from Daz studio - using windows 7
tried different settings in exporter, with and without subD, texture… same results; tried fbx export ascii as well, same result.
importing in ue4.7.2 (droped textures to shorten experimenting times)

For now I keep using the 4.6, it imports the mesh correctly. The next update should have the fix, according to .

aye aye, just made sure to pass along windows 7 had the same quirk

Hey KINGandKONG and Cyprine -

It does appear that something has happened to FBX’s generated specifically from DAZ Studio. I was able to confirm that and simply passing the fbx asset through Maya 2014 (opening it in the program then reexporting it as a different FBX) allowed the fbx to be imported into the Engine without errors.

I have opened an investigation into this issue, for reference UE-12017, and will keep you informed as we work toward a solution.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

noted
i dont have maya.
awhile back, i use to run fbx converter on Daz-fbx exports (when daz wasnt up to date with fbx builds) but it seems the converter is not supported anymore (latest build is 2013).
fbx sdk seemed the solution but i dont have visual studio so i cant run their converter - you may want to have a try until there is a more permanent fix.

Thanks Eric, I had a feeling it had to do with a 4.7.0 update to correct a bug report for Maya FBX import.

installed daz4.8 recently & tried again in hopes they had updated their end of fbx exporter. Obviously still bugged

45496-stillbugged.jpg

Thank You for your report Cyprine -

This issue, UE-12017, has been backlogged currently. Since there is a workaround by passing the mesh through Max or Maya, I would recommend placing a support ticket with DAZStudio if you have not done so already.

Thank You Again -

Eric Ketchum

It is not daz, the problem is UE4.7… If you pass the skeleton mesh thru AutoDesk FBX exporter, you still get the spikes in 4.7, where 4.6 had no issues… They should reverse the update put in after UE 4.6!

Eric,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with DAZ FBX export, because both Max, Maya, and other software can import DAZ FBX without any problem… UE 4.6 and prior versions could also import the DAZ FBX without any problem, however the problem is the UE 4.7… Will the ticket UE-12017 stay open till someone can take care of the issue the right way?

Thanks,

Hello -

I also believe that there is nothing wrong with the FBX Exporter in DAZ Studio. There is something that is non-standard with the skeletal skin binding that is done in DAZ when compared to the same setup done in either Max or Maya. This is why the workaround of importing into Maya and Max allows the skeletons to be exported using those program’s formatting which UE4 understands.

In either case though, the bug itself will not and has not been closed, it is backlogged which may mean it will take a significant amount of time for us to get to, which is why I suggested reporting the issue to DAZ as a way to get two entities aware of the issue.

Thank You -

Eric Ketchum

“Bug” still appears in 4.8. Any news on this issue? I’m experiencing it too…

It seems to have something to do with morphs. I’ve tried to import the FBX into Blender and have some issues there as well. Bones (assumably of morphs) sticking out of the geometry look pretty much like the spikes encountered when importing the FBX in UE4.

Reproduction steps: just import the FBX in Blender instead of UE4.