4.7.2 FBX Import Bug

“Bug” still appears in 4.8. Any news on this issue? I’m experiencing it too…

It seems to have something to do with morphs. I’ve tried to import the FBX into Blender and have some issues there as well. Bones (assumably of morphs) sticking out of the geometry look pretty much like the spikes encountered when importing the FBX in UE4. Looks like this on my machine: Dropbox - Screenshot 2015-08-08 18.37.42.png - Simplify your life

Reproduction steps: just import the FBX in Blender instead of UE4.

Hello -

There is a known issue with importing DAX Studio FBX files into the engine. Currently we have this reported as UE-12017 and are working on a solution. If you have additional information about this issue, please feel free to post as a comment to this answer. As soon as I know any additional information regarding the investigation, I will post here.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Same problem here when trying to import FBX with DAZ 4.7 and 4.8 character morphs checked to C4D.
Just crashes upon import (not many things crash C4D)

System: Windows 7 Pro x 64, AMD 6300, 8Gb Ram, Gtx 670

any news on this?

Hi Arthur -

The issue is actively on a To Do, so it has not been backlogged, which is good news, but unfortunately I don’t have a timeframe on completion.

Took forever, but I think I got this
working

• Daz4.8->3DSMax2016->UE4.9.2->import
    skeletal mesh

• Daz4.8->MB2015->UE4.9.2->import
    animation

That’s one hell of a workflow… kudos for figuring it out! Still, nope, thanks. Don’t want it that way. I’d rather see something like this:

• Daz4.8 → UE4.9.2 → Import everything

I just tried it and the problem is still there in UE4.10.

Ok, after some trials and errors I found a way that the mesh and animation can be exported from DAZ3D to UE4 using Blender. It took a lot of tries but I think I finally got it working with UE4.10. I know people have got it to work with MAX3D, but it is just not an option for me due to the huge price tag. The workflow I used is :

DAZ3D export to Collada (DAE) => Blender export to FBX(Binary) => import UE4

For the Blender export, make sure it has to be Binary otherwise UE4 complains that no valid animation take is found.

I’m seeing some warnings about smoothing group and “Imported bone transform is different from original…”, but other than that it appears to be working.

Can you tell us more about your settings? I now have issues ex-/importing the DAE from DAZ3D to Blender. I.e. the armature is totally off… mostly too small compared to the skin, some bones outside of the body… I’d be really happy to see all your settings.

This is the DAZ setting I used to export, I just used the walk forward cycle in Animate2 and bake to studio frames. I’m using Daz 4.8 and Blender 2.74 btw. Hope this helps!

One thing I forgot to mention is that in Blender mesh make sure the mesh scale is set to 1.0 for x,y,z (instead of 0.01). Otherwise the mesh become really small in UE4

Well, is there any legitimate way to downgrade from 4.10 to 4.6?

No need to downgrade, just install the 4.6 engine, in addition to your current version. Then start the 4.6 and create a new project, import the DAZ fbx, save the project and exit. now start your latest version of UE then open the saved 4.6 project. Let it copy the project and upgrade.

Thank you! That’s good idea, wish I could figure that myself…

are you guys serious? isn’t it possible to take the 4.6 codex for fbx and give it into 4.10.
I still got this problem and it is not getting better if Hobson closes this thread.
I imported meshes from FUSE (which are made to FBX by Mixamo) and they are broken this way aswell.
I uploaded the same file to Autodesk A360 viewer and its fine there. The issue is unreal. For me the only (but heavy) bug atm.
Hell guys, please don’t make it worse if it used to work once.