3 YEARS making my OPEN WORLD DREAM game

Hello! :man_mage:

How is it going? :slight_smile:
In this game, you play as a Mage controlling a giant beast, building your home or fortress on its back. It’s a multiplayer online co-op, open-world RPG!
In 2020, I started working on this project in a different engine, and in 2021, I transitioned to Unreal Engine 4. Recently, I migrated to Unreal Engine 5, primarily for the incredible new world partition system. A few weeks ago, I decided to start showcasing the game through a dynamic devblog on YouTube. While the game is still in progress and all the art is placeholder (since I’m the sole developer), I plan to replace these assets with custom artwork created by an artist.

This is a link of the first devblog I made: https://youtu.be/Is4H3__byDQ
I will be making a second one soon!

Feel free to ask me any technical questions about how I developed the various features (except the art, as I mentioned, that’s not my work :smile:). I’d be happy to share insights on the game’s mechanics, systems, or any other aspects!

3 Likes

Merry meet I have been working on one for 5+ Years (First year study the subject of game [Fear]) and would love to have someone to bounce ideas off of. If interested I would be willing to send my own Devlog type file.

Blessed Be
[Lunar Nightmare]

Hi there @rhomita,

Hope you’re well :slight_smile:

As a fan of all things RPG - the first line of “you play as a mage controlling a giant beast” got me immediately hooked. Do you plan to share any gameplay trailers soon? :smiley:

really awesome Rhomita! And you made it all on your own?

Since years I’m dreaming of making a multiplayer open world game like DayZ or Arma. I’ve learned a lot about modelling, texturing and optimizing my assets. I’m a passionate designer/animator. I’m just struggling with the technical part of an open world game (world partition) and creating HLODS for distant Buildings/villages. May be i’ll have to look for other people with more technical knowledge and put together a team of people with the same vision.

Can you give me some advice on where i should start with open world game creation?

PS: I can share some screenshots if you dont mind

Hello Runiker!
Definitely, feel free to send me your devblog and I will check it out!

Thanks for the feedback!
There is some gameplay on YouTube but it’s a bit outdated (Jan 2023)
I will be making new trailers and more gameplay when I start replacing the placeholder 3D models and UI :grin:

1 Like

Thank you!
I’ve created everything, except the 3D art / music / sfx. I’m using placeholders for now and I will replace them soon by custom made assets, but not made by me but an artist.

Well, the advice I could give you is to do things step by step, there are many features to learn! Check some tutorials, read official documentation, etc, but it’s important also to play around with the features. A good start point in my opinion is the world partition map that unreal has as example.
I recommend you to use the epic forums, there is a lot of information over there, and if you don’t find something, just create a post! (I sometimes try to reply questions in the forum, as long as I know them :sweat_smile:)

And yes, please, share your screenshots!

Oh exciting! I look forward to seeing them :slight_smile: Happy developing until then!