2D games - do you make your levels in UE or in a graphics editor?

I’m using 2D sprites in my game. I was wondering what you guys recommend for making the levels.

Do you copy and paste tons of sprites next to each other to make the level in UE, or do you use something like GIMP?

I see an advantage to using small sprites to make a complete level in UE, being that each sprite is just repeated, it would save lots of memory. I tried that at first, but then I saw thin spaces between the sprites, so I decided to use GIMP, and make bigger sprites from a bunch of small ones because then I can zoom in to pixel details and ensure that there is no space between them.

If you’ve made 2D sidescrolling games, how do you make your levels?

I think the normal way to do it is with Tile Map assets. I would imagine that would clamp the UVs on tiles so they don’t have gaps when zoomed in. I don’t have much experience with it, as I’ve mostly worked with 2.5D sidescrollers.