2D classical animation in 3D environment

Hi guys,

I’d like to use unreal engine for movies, not like a theater movie but just to experiment and learn some stuff. I’m a big fan of japanimation, and I used to draw when I was younger and decided to draw again by learning the manga style.

Here is the thing : I’d like to draw and animate characters the oldschool way, like in animes, but I’d also like to use a 3d engine to create very rich places (by rich I mean a lot of stuff/details or aerial views of a big city for example) where to place them, allowing me to easily make complex camera movements without drawing again everything in different angles (I’ll have to do it only for the characters, which would be very time-saving).

I wanted to know if there’s some tutorial for mixing a classic drawing in 3d environment, I know that it can seems weird and that I may not find what I’m looking for but I hope you could help me, it would spares me a lot of time of trying again and again to figure out how to do it.

Thank you.

PS. In case I couldn’t find what I’m looking for, do you think that the best way to do it would be to create those animations and then add them to the engine, meaning I’ll have to fit the camera movement to the angles of the characters ?

Have a look in the Learn tab of the launcher, there is a free game you can download called Swing Ninja. You can pull it apart and see how epic have done it. I don’t think there’s much chance of getting a tutorial as specific for your need, could be wrong though!