2D Character Engine - Create your own customized 2D Character

So someone are planning some 2D platformer?

I would personally love to make a Metroidvania game :slight_smile:

Again very good work, the rope shimmy and camera behavoir could be useful for my game.

I’m in the preproduction stage to create a short metroidvania style game but more inspired in Blackthorne from Blizzard, I’m still deciding to use Unreal or Unity but right now i’m much more inclined to use Unreal and mainly thanks to the advances of the work of here.
My game it will not be too long, will more centred on environments and character development than complex gameplay because my lack of programming knowledge, some door switching, platforms and enemies with standard behaviours, 2D characters and 3D environment is my main objective, but 2D environment still have a chance because is much more easy to do for me and my team.

I wish the best of luck to .

I think I may have gotten an ideal to use the 2D Character Sprites that I bought to exemplify how to build the sprites in UE4 and to show the animation system in action.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-PR4tHMaxDSclRKWld5QUk4bms/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully this will work as I feel that having these working sprites in the project will really help developers understand advanced methods to get your sprites working for a complex 2D animation system.

And thank you for the nice comments again, Genesis and Doug.

I will try to power through the remainder of the project so that I can submit it in 1 week or 2. Of course, quality is the top priority, so in the end, it’ll be ready when it is ready, but, not much longer I promise :slight_smile:

Once all is done, I will show how you can use the projectile system in place to make melee attacks :slight_smile: The attack animation will have a system to choose which animation to play based on the item equipped.

NEW Tutorial 1 NEW

NOTE: I mention a Demo Level in the video, but upon further consideration, I do not think that I will create a demo level as the Tutorial level should be plenty to let the user try out the various features in depth. So I will package a playable demo once tutorial 2 is complete. Before I begin with tutorial 2 though, I must fix various bugs in the current tutorial, mostly animation related.

Enjoy!

Hey, I have a question, could I possibly see the blueprint you used for the air dash? I want to have a similar movement option in my game, I’m using launch character right now but it doesn’t hold them at a completely horizontal angle for the duration of the dash, it just launches them forward when you press the button and then gravity applies again and pulls them down.

If gravity is your problem, simply set the gravity scale to 0 during the dash and then set it back to whatever it was before :wink:

hm, alright, thanks!

The Tutorial video is just great!

Sorry for the inactivity, I’ve been on vacation and started working on a game project with a team. I will resume production shortly.

Hope you had fun !! Glad you’re back too!

Hi

What is this “Animation System”?

&d=1432549537

Is possible to implement it in third person game mode for controlling Jump / Dash / Walk / Run / Sprint / Crouch / flying / swim?

Will be in the Marketplace?

Currently, I am handling animtion with a Blueprint Actor class that communicates with all noteable blueprint actors and checks if they are valid. Depending on what component is active, the animaton Blueprint updates its flipbook variables which are sent from the Character Blueprint and plays them accordingly. The flipbook variables from the character Blueprint are all exposed and can be dragged and dropped in place for easy incorporation.

I do plan on releasing to the Marketplace once finished. I`ve started the second phase of the project which handles more advanced mechanics.

JamGirl Preview

New Character Preview

Is tgis project just dead or what happend? I would really like to use it in my game :frowning: