263 Color Lookup Tables (LUTs)

&stc=1

Up For voting on trello!!!
Trello

What are Color Lookup Tables?**

Color Lookup Tables are one of the primary methods of applying color grading/correction to scenes in video games.

[SIZE=5]What is Color Grading/Correction?
[/SIZE]

Color Grading/Correction is often the least talked about, most overlooked portion of the post-production process.

Color Grading is the process of altering and enhancing the color of a motion picture, video game, or still image. Simply put, it is a method of telling the computer to exchange one color with another. Ex: telling it to exchange dark blue with light blue, or to exchange pink with orange, for all of the colors seen on screen.

For a good visual example, check out this video:

Why should I care about Color Grading/Correction?

You should care about it because it is not only a quick and cheap method to give your scenes a movie/cinematic feel, but it can also add a lot into the storytelling element of your game, as well as change/modify the time of day.
The mood of a narrative is enhanced by the use of color grading. The Walking Dead on AMC is a great example of this. The series is about a group of people trying to survive a zombie apocalypse. It’s a dreary and bleak world. Visually it’s emphasized through the use of dark muted tones and the absence of bright colors.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-19-at-1.38.12-PM-620x400.jpg&stc=1

Different locations have different nuances a varied color palette can bring out. Color can help orient the audience to the location on screen, or to the genre of story you are trying to portray.
For example, games/movies that are located in the desert almost always have a primarily yellowish tinge/hue to them, even when inside areas that are cut off from the desert outside.

179532_full.jpg&stc=1

Some Prince of Persia for ya

Horror games, games located in cold climates, or games set at night often have a lot of blue worked into almost every scene.

e4af0831254d9b3d8aa78f1680712108216064a3.jpg&stc=1

Some scary Evil Within

Warfare games, apocalyptic games, etc, have lots of muted colors, browns, and tans work into their very souls. Battlefield 4: Brown warfare.

4149061-6699420578-CALL-.jpg&stc=1

Some classic Call of Duty

Also, in terms of benefits of Color Grading/Correction specific to video games is two fold:

One: it can extend the usefulness of what props you have, allowing you to use fewer unique props to add visual interest to your scenes.
What I mean by this is that when you add color correction to your scene, the new unified color scheme ties all of the objects together, making them look like they all belong together. For example: if you have a cardboard box that you made for a bright and sunny office scene, and then want to use that same box in a sewer scene, it is going to look somewhat out of place in the sewer scene because it is a nice, clean box that looks right at home in an office. However, if you have a green/blue toned color lookup table applying color grading to the sewer, all of a sudden that cardboard box is going to have more of a blue/green tone to it, making it look right at home in the sewer!

And Two: it can reduce to need to have additional lights to create the desired atmosphere to your scene. And, it can create the unified lighting/color feel that is given by global illumination, but without the high processing cost of actually having global illumination.

What I mean by that is that if you wanted to apply an overall color tone to your scene, you would either need to change all of the lights in the scene to output their light t specific colors (and in shadowed areas with minimal light, colors would revert back to what is normally scene on the objects), or you would need to change the color of the textures of the objects in the scene, both tedious, time consuming, and resource consuming processes that can be bypassed by color grading.
In terms of the global illumination stuff (GI), GI in a scene usually results in colors of objects near each other blending together from the light bouncing off of one and onto the other. With color correction, while it isn’t able to create any additional interaction between objects and light, it is able to give them all similar color/hues, indirectly creating an effect similar to that of GI.

I don’t know…. What awesome looking games actually use color grading/correction?

Well, to give some awesome examples, how about:

Deadspace:

&stc=1

Evolve:

&stc=1

**Dragon Age Inquisition:

&stc=1

Destiny:

&stc=1

**Assassin’s Creed Unity:

&stc=1

**Dying Light:

&stc=1

**Call of Duty Advanced Warfare:

&stc=1

**Ok, so Color Grading/Correction is cool. What are you offering?

What I have is 263 unique Color Lookup Tables for the low price of $19.99. Along with the LUTs, there is an example image of each LUT being used in a scene. The Color Lookup Tables I am offering can be broken down into 4 different categories:

Warm: adding/emphasizing reds, oranges, yellows. There are 121 different LUTs in this category.

&stc=1

Cool: adding/emphasizing blues, purples, greens. There are 37 different LUTs in this category.

&stc=1

Monochrome: soloing out a single color, making everything black and white, emphasizing black/white. There are 21 different LUTs in this category.

&stc=1

Stylized/Cartoon: Adding in a bunch of color all over the place, not necessarily corresponding to the highlights or shadows of a scene. Best for if you are looking for a really stylized looking scene…. Or if you just want to barf color over everything, I won’t judge. :smiley: There are 84 different LUTs in this category.

&stc=1

Please feel free to post any comments or questions below!

Price seems reasonable but for the non-artists like myself … what would you use the Colour Lookup Table for? 8-}

^ You can plug them into Post Process volumes and they colourize the scene, quite literally like taking the scene and adjusting it in photoshop.

I’d like to expand on this question a bit more - with a statement.

A few people have posted their LUTs recently for sale (various stages in the submission process currently) and there’s one big thing that all the author’s are missing - context!

qdelpeche’s question is a perfect example of the average level of knowledge when it comes to LUTs. Most people don’t spend a lot of time messing with post process settings until they get further into development on their project. They’re busy with making things work. LUTs are also one of the more convoluted subjects within post processing as well - it’s not just “tweak this number until something looks good”. This leads to people seeing that you’re selling a pack of LUTs and then going “dunno what that is or how I’d use it. Let’s look at something neat like weapons or rocks!”

Fixing this problem is really easy. Break your LUTs into categories - Film, Realistic, Cartoon, Grit, Saturation, etc. then label 4-5 LUTs from each category and post them, with a quick note on the total number of LUTs you have in that category. The reason labeling and categorizing is so important is because there’s many people who don’t know what a realistic sunset LUT looks like (for example) - especially when you have 5 variants on it. Looking at your wall of images - while I certainly appreciate the information - makes my eyes gloss over and your LUTs start to bleed into each other until I don’t know if any of them look right for my game.

Just my 2c in an effort to increase your sales.

Hey , thanks for the tip and clarification! I’ll definitely get to work trying to put all of these goodies into context. :smiley: Maybe add in a few examples of games that might use them as well!

So can you set the LUT at run time while a game is running?

If so, I am interested in using this for my current project. 8-}

Why, yes qdelpeche, you can change LUTs while the game is running through one of a few methods. Either you can have multiple post processing volumes in your scene (unbound) and turn them on or off with different blueprints, you can have bound post processing volumes actually move onto or off of the character when needed, or perhaps you use blueprints to change the LUT that is loaded into the post process volume. I am not all that great with blueprints so I don’t have any examples to show, but I can’t imagine that all of those options wouldn’t work.

Well ****, that’s a really freaking nice presentation. Excellent job associating the AAA titles with your work and bridging the gap between your LUTs and everyone’s UE4 project.

5/5 nice sell.

Shot Knobbynobbes … thanks for the info and updating the post for artistic noobs like me. 8-}

I definitely have a need for this and will definitely be buying it.

Woo, just submitted it. So excited!

Very nice asset, upon googling up for it there’s a recent blog on unity on color grading, that links to some very interesting articles

Hope this helps…

Fred

Hoorah! Its up for voting on trello already! A much faster turnaround than I was expecting! Trello

Aaaand its up on the marketplace finally! Who knew there was such a long wait list for getting stuff on there? You can check it out here or on the epic launcher!