2023 MegaJam Kickoff | Inside Unreal

WHAT
It is finally time - this years Epic MegaJam is officially kicking off! Come join us and celebrate the start of it and discuss rules, prizing, modifiers, tips and tricks and of course… reveal this years theme!
For those of you interested in learning more about the jam, you can find all of the information as well as the submission process here!

WHEN
Thursday, September 14th @ 2:00 PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch
YouTube

WHO
Richard Cowgill - Representing NVIDIA
Mike Haggerty - Representing GameTextures
Dan Rose - Representing GameTextures
Andreas Hammann - Representing Dynamedion
Skye Russell (She/Her) - Community Manager
Tina Wisdom (She/Her) - Community Manager - @TheUnWiseTina

If you’re unable to make the show, all livestreams can be viewed afterwards on-demand .

8 Likes

my first mega jam at 47 years old, never too old to try something new. been learning uefn in the last 2 weeks in preparation.

21 Likes

Hey, I’ve seen that you encourage UEFN and I was planning on making a game using this tool. One thing though, how do I submit it once I’m done, on the itch page or some place else?

Is the MegaJam theme “Antiquated Future”?

2 Likes

You guys stated no violence is allowed. Does that mean we can’t submit a game where you have to shoot or melee combat enemies at all?

4 Likes

Well, you have to submit in on itch.io(ZIP file) as far as I know.

1 Like

Yes it is :slight_smile:
antiquated definition

2 Likes

Package early, package often. I can also recommend backing up before packaging/cooking, I just had the process fail and corrupt my project afterwards. First time for everything I guess.

Also set build target to shipping for last build, debug target performs worse and file size is bigger, can easily go over 1GB.

1 Like

the megajam page says 'If your file is more than 1GB, you may utilize the tool to upload files to Itch.io

does this mean can upload over 1gb?

I’m obviously not operating the jam but as far as I understand - you can, but you cannot upload it through Itch’s own GUI but need to use some tool they provide for it.

Still, it is extremely, extremely unlikely you go over 1GB. As long as you:

Only include required levels in packaging. This should take all the assets referenced by the levels in the packaged project. If you write C++ code with some hard-referenced assets you may need to include their directories (additional asset directories to cook).

(Things like these is also why it’s important to test the packaged build too and not just in editor).

Set build target to Shipping.

And finally, use something like WinRar to make a zip of the file.

Here is a small reminder to every taking part of the Epic Mega Jam. This is a game JAM. This means that we are suppose to be jamming. And this means that we are suppose to play and give feedback to each others games. I don’t really see this happening, and this is really sad. Especially because a lot of them taking part of this jam is students that is here to learn and show what they can do.

Please be better jammers.

2 Likes

agreed

1 Like

hey,

1. Is there any game jam support contact from organisers? How to contact them?
  2. Second question - I don’t see anywhere the timeline when all the results will be announced etc.
1 Like

Hey guys!

Any news on the results?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing … I am still waiting for result of that. Anyone … anything ?

3 Likes

Judging as how last year they had about 500 entries and Unreal took about 2 months to post results. We should expect some sort of response around Nov/ 15-30 /2023 ,but that’s just an educated guess

1 Like

The winners of the jam will be found on 30 November.

1 Like

this is also my first MegaJam at 12 years old. im still learning

Hello @JK5000Games. Any updates on results?