2019 Winter #ue4jam - Feb 14-19 - Theme: ALL'S FAIR IN LOVE IN WAR

Background by Yuko Yokoi

Background by Barry Lowndes

It’s a new year and time for another #ue4jam! Unreal Engine’s quarterly game jams brings developers together for five days to craft a unique game, putting their creative and technical abilities to the test.

This is a great place to find team members, talk about the jam or post updates. You can also head over to Discord and visit #game-jams for anything related to the jam. Happy developing, and good luck!

SPECIAL CATEGORY PRIZES

Our “Special Categories” are for teams who create amazing games, but have something just a little different. This Winter, our Special Categories are:

• “Friends And Foes” for the best shared screen multiplayer game.
  • “The Tiny Award” for the best game that comes in under 100mb.
  • “Something Something Reality” for the best game that is either an Augmented or Virtual Reality (XR) experience.

Streaming your work on Twitch? Let us know so we can follow along!
Are you on Twitter? Show off your work using the #ue4jam](https://twitter.com/hashtag/ue4jam?src=hash) hashtag!

Helpful Links for Jamming

Official Sites
Getting Started Docs
Reduce Your Package Size
Top Tips for Game Jams
Wiki Tutorials
Wiki Code Tutorials/Snippets
Training Videos
Tutorials and Guides
Blueprint Getting Started Thread
C++ Getting Started Thread

Youtube
Unreal Engine’s Official Youtube Channel
Peter L Newton’s Youtube Channel
TeslaDev’s Youtube Channel
Mathew Wadstein’s Youtube Channel
Luos’ Youtube Channel

Tutorials and Guides
Tutorials by Tom Looman
Blueprint Guides by Romero

UPDATE:

Edited “Friends And Foes” category to:

• "Friends And Foes" for the best shared screen multiplayer game.

Split screen is not required.

Been doing some tests on sizes of empty projects, as I love the idea of size constraints.
Just looking for some clarification on the tiny category, as I can only remember ambiguous answers:

Is the size limit of the final .zip, or of the extracted files?
I see some past winners that are way past 100mb when extracted, but I also remember getting an answer that it is the uncompressed size that counts.

Can we strip out the redistributables from packaging?
Project Settings -> Packaging -> Include prerequisites installer
It’s 23 to 38MB in the end, which is a lot if the limit is 100mb uncompressed. Mobile platforms do not have this, and I assume the machines you test on have these installed already.

Soundly promo code is already reading as expired :frowning:

Yeah, that is what it is saying for me too. :frowning:

The promo code should work now, let me know if you have any other issues.

It works now! Thank you!

So what do need to do to get perforce access?
I created a new email account for our team and sent an email with addresses of all our team members, but I haven’t got a reply.

Still looking for a UI/UX designer or 3D artist for my team! Link here: https://crowdforge.io/jams/ue4jam/teams/3146

For the under 100mb category if that under 100mb zipped or unzipped?

Unzipped, but you can still use the compression settings under Packaging.

Can we use mixamo character and anims?

i’ve already made a huge master material for landscape with Material Functions some weeks ago. For the JAM i will need recreate everything from scratch right?

So is there any guide on how making a sub 100 mb game is possible in unreal?

So what is the theme of the jam? It’s not written in the pdf.

yeah missed the 9am start (3pm est) of the livestream or something so no clue as to what the theme is. looks like a re-run in any case, they are talking about being in january.

Theme is: “All’s fair in love and war”

Ah. found it in a discord somewhere. “All’s fair in love and war”

Are we required to enable ‘Include prerequisites installer’ or can we disable it for our game jam submission?

If you’re going for the “The Tiny Award”, you don’t need to have the prerequisites in the build. But I would suggest to include them if you can squeeze it if someone who doesn’t have them installed downloads your game.