2 questions, nanites & environments

2 things doesn’t make sense for me right now…

a) Nanites: What’s the difference between downloading Nanite version of a mesh when I’m able to download a lower quality version much faster and convert it to Nanite in a snap?

b) I’ve tried to use the Medieval Game Environment from marketplace. The whole thing is 16 gb in size. How does it work, the whole game later should have maybe 10 - 20 gb if “one” environment is that huge?

What? I’ve tried making sense of what you’re asking a couple times and I’m very confused by what you are asking.
Nanite isn’t a version of a mesh. It is a new way UE5 can process certain types of geometry. You can just use it with literally any type of geometry complexity outside of deforming and masked meshes. I’m using it for the enhanced culling it offers for my IDTECH 1 era game (Strife) remaster. Basically each 2 tri section of wall or entire floor of a room is it’s own static mesh and they will use nanite.

The medieval game environment thing… I’m really, again, very confused by what you are asking but I’ll try my best here. If it’s 16GB in size when you download it then yes… That is how big it WAS. If you correctly use nanite on the meshes that it’s compatible with and you also set up Lumen correctly with mesh distance fields your project folder will become much bigger. Nanite files for the engine and in the editor are big. So are the distance fields. There is a new technology that is being used called oodle and kraken and lz4 for shaders that will compress it down significantly when you build out the game.

I hope some bit of my answer here is what you were looking for.

To question one: Why should I download let’s say 50 objects in Nanite version from Quixel, each download needs around 5 minutes, when I could download a simple version in SHORTER time and then convert to nanite with a SNAP. The question is, why I should waste time downloading the time intensive way?

Download Nanite version → 5 minutes
Download simple version + convert → maybe one minute?

Second question is same simple: How comes a full game is in good graphics quality maybe 10-20 gb in size, when a SINGLE scene/environment takes SAME size?

Sorry, I’m german, maybe my terms or way of grammar is wrong for such questions…

why I should waste time downloading the time intensive way?

Because you want to download the base LOD mesh and have nanite preserve that detail without LODs.

Download Nanite version → 5 minutes

Have faster internet? Also, nanite again can be any asset you import. You don’t need to be using Quixel assets to have nanite meshes. None of this matters if you are authoring your own assets.

How comes a full game is in good graphics quality maybe 10-20 gb in size, when a SINGLE scene/environment takes SAME size?

Because a developer can do literally anything they want. This is more of a philosophical question.

My internet is sure no industrial standard. Downloading “Modular Building Balcony” as a test right now in Nanite version and it takes around 8 minutes lol

Whole “environment” hand selected I guess would cost me 1-5 days to download everything so…

Ok, ty for the answers.

----- Update! -----

Well, did a test right now… I was told converting a low quality download into Nanite is same as downloading Nanite version - sure my question was, why to wait for a big download instead of converting same with a snap in seconds.

BUT: Now I see the Nanite downnload is a totally other thing than a converted low quality version into Nanite. Her’s the Low Quality in Nanite mode against the Nanite download and THAT’s what I wanted to know lol…

Nanite is not a specific file format, it’s a new LOD management system in UE5. Both low poly and “Nanite version” are essentially the same with different triangle counts. Any non deformable mesh can be a Nanite mesh.

Don’t know if it’s the translation, but this is not true. You can activate Nanite on both, yes.

1 Like