Any help getting my still renders less blurry?

Hey guys!

I’m new-ish to UE and I can’t seem to get my exports to render as crisp as they look in my viewport. I’m using UE for concept art and I only need to export stills for now, i’ll eventually get to animations later. No matter how much digging I do and how many settings I change I just can’t for the life of me figure out why they are all a little blurry.

here is my in engine view -

here is my render -

here is my settings and focus -

I’m using movie render que to export, only selecting one frame and exporting that. I tried exporting High Quality Screenshots but those also turn out less than desirable.

Diag -

Time of this report: 2/14/2024, 13:32:58
         Machine name: DESKTOP-IGC6U4U
           Machine Id: {B4201D35-3277-44F1-85C4-ABA7C104FF2A}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
         System Model: MS-7C56
                 BIOS: A.60 (type: UEFI)
            Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor              (16 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
               Memory: 32768MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 32694MB RAM
            Page File: 20269MB used, 37000MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
             Miracast: Available, no HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.3636 64bit Unicode

any help is greatly appreciated!

I would get rid of all those cvar overrides. Some of them aren’t even doing anything like the raytracing ones. Chances are your viewport is being rendered with TSR at a much lower resolution than what you are rendering. So the AA will be different. Rather than leaning on screen percentage if you want a super crisp render just render it double the resolution you want and resize it in PS or Nuke or whatever DCC.

yep. ton of overrides you may not even need. the most important settings for image clarity is the AA setting. and you gotta disable/terminate motion blur, not mess with it’s quality. just in case… you might wanna check that you have no keyed camera motion in the still frame or around it. you gotta have a clean camera key across the shutter length.

So you think I need any cvar overrides when rendering stills? I couldn’t really find much info about it the more I dug around. You suggest just exporting with the base settings in Movie Render Que and adding AA? Is there any specific AA I should do?

Thanks so much for the reply!

Is there any specific AA setting or Spatial counts you suggest for just one frame? By “disable/terminate motion blur” do you mean in the project settings or just getting rid of the over ride?

I’ll check for the keyed camera motion right now. Thanks so much for the help!

Yeah, I would roll with no CVars unless you see a visual reason to use one. You are probably just increasing render time without much visual value. There are times when you need to use them but I would wait and see if you need them. Sometimes these lists people find online hurt more than help.

Setting the AA to none is fine. 64 spatial samples should be plenty for what you are trying to render. Basically when you set the AA to none each sample will jitter the camera to a different position to do your AA. So you are getting “true” AA rather than an approximation.

In case you have not stumbled upon this yet, it might help explain some of how MRQ is working.

you can disable motion blur in the ppv settings. i don’t have a clear answer for the sample count. try different amounts and eyeball it. no AA is defo the sharpest image you can have but it has jaggies. the more you remove the jaggies the blurrier the edges appear. eyeball stuff.

Thanks so much for this info! I took some time reading through and also messing with my settings, I got rid of all of my overrides, turned of motion blur in my settings and just used AA set to none

here are my results:

This is with a 64 spatial count

I’m going to post another reply with an 8 spatial count since Im a new user it only lets me do one pic per post.

To my eyes the 8 is sharper, but definitely has those rough edges. So is it just a matter of preference in the end? Will I never really get it sharper than this without just paint overs and what not in PS since I’m going to do that anyways? Just curious as to what I should be expecting from my renders.

Appreciate you so much, thanks again!

this is the 8 spatial count

Just messed around with this and I can see exactly what you’re saying. Posted my results in the other replies. Appreciate you explaining this to me, thanks so much!

Yeah AA is always gonna be that balance between blurring your edges too much vs cleaning out all the pixelation. There is a sharpness control in the PPV or a cvar, I believe, but I have never really been too pleased with that. If things are too soft for me I always just render double the resolution and down-res in post. So it’s effectively super sampling.

That being said there is nothing wrong with TAA/TSR. If they provide a better solution for you that’s great. Plenty of Netflix/Disney series are rendered with TAA or TSR.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.