Explore Cropout, a top-down casual RTS sample project General Announcements

Level up your development with a brand new sample project, Cropout. This top-down Casual RTS game sample not only demonstrates best practices for building projects with cross-platform in mind, it showcases loads of helpful features—and it’s made entirely in Blueprint!

Familiarize yourself with Common UI, Enhanced Input, and Geometry Script. Then see Behavior Tree, EQS, Save-Load, and Blueprint Interfaces in action, as well as learn about packing for mobile and PC; using plugin structures; and setting up simple characters and a custom top-down player.

The light-hearted and cozy setting is the perfect way to ease into your development journey and a great resource for educators.

Jump into Cropout and start building your own Casual RTS game.

Download the Cropout Sample Project now!

Looking for more resources? Take a guided tour and dive deeper with the Cropout sample project on Inside Unreal—watch live on Twitch and YouTube 2023-07-27T18:00:00Z.

FAQ

1. What is Cropout?

Cropout is a brand new sample game that demonstrates how to go about building a simple RTS game. Including a top down camera, click and drag gameplay, and more. The sample is intended to work on most Unreal supported platforms including mobile.

2. Can I use Cropout in my own Unreal projects?

Yes! The sample is available to download and use in your Unreal projects.

3. What does Cropout work on?

Cropout has been tested against numerous computers and Android devices as well console platforms. However, console platform information is not part of the sample download.

4. Who is Cropout for?

Cropout is for anyone who wants to learn more about game development and creating a game project in Unreal. It is jam packed with Blueprint best practices, tech art treats, and general game dev goodness! While this project is far simpler than Lyra, it still requires a good understanding of Blueprint. If you’re new to game dev, we recommend checking out our other sample Stack ‘o’ bot or the Content Examples before diving into this one.

5. Cropout is Blueprint only, does that mean that we shouldn’t use C++ on our project?

Not at all! For this particular sample, we had everything we needed ready in the engine to make the game. It also ran well using the optimization options already available. That being said, if you were to scale this game up to a more computationally intensive project, you may need to start making some optimizations at the C++ level.

6. How do I get started exploring the sample?

If you’re not sure where to start, I highly recommend watching the Cropout Guided tour, we go step by step through all of the different facets of the game and it will make navigating the project far easier.

7. Is Cropout a proper game?

While Cropout is a full, albeit small, game with a full game loop, it’s not been tested or designed in a way that a normal game would have been. When building Cropout, we weren’t interested in making a good game, but rather a game that had been built well.

12 Likes

Where can we post bug reports on this project ?

1 Like

On Apple M1, using UE5.3 preview 1, Cropout crashes every several minutes with SegFault at FAnimNode_RigidBody::RunPhysicsSimulation

But overall a great cute project! Waiting to decompose it to learn new stuff

Feel free to post any bugs you find here! It was a small team so I’m sure there are a few to iron out :smiley:

Thanks for letting us know :slight_smile: we’ll be ramping up 5.3 testing as it gets closer to release

Thanks Arran. I found a small bug concerning the pause menu. If you click on pause and instead of clicking on “Resume” to return to the game you instead click on the pause button again, those calls stack up. So when you click on “Resume” afterwards, the pause menu will reveal itself again and again for the identical amount of times pause was pressed. Maybe avoid this by graying out the pause button once paused.

3 Likes

You have talked a lot about low-end android devices that can run this amazing game sample.
But could you be more precise about this question?
What is the minimum requirement for an android mobile device to run this game?
Is it possible to run it on 32-bit android system, because there are lot of them working all other the world
Thx for your amazing work

Sometimes I can place a field to half space, so fields can overlap.
In more cases a house or a field can’t be placed next to another one, and showing a red square. But after a few clicks, I can place it.

For UE newcomers, I do find this sample project definitely more understandable than the Lyra starter game :wink:

Thank you, can’t wait for more minigames like this to help learning !

3 Likes

Thanks for the bug reports everyone! Keep em coming if you find them.

Hey, as this is still a fully 3D game it will struggle to run on really old phones. I used the following for testing and the game runs well on all of them (with the caveat that it does start to struggle if you add significantly more villagers than you would need to beat the game).

Pixel 4a (30fps)
Nothing phone 1 (30fps)
Pixel 7 Pro (60fps)
Galaxy Fold 4 (60fps)

The price range on these phones goes from £200 - £1400 which is a pretty good distribution of what most people can afford.

If I were making this game for release I would most likely limit the number of villagers that the player can spawn to keep perf locked. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Very well built
Just a note, the navigation system should be updated every time you build a building, because the characters pass through the houses

Thanks for the feedback. Would you happen to have a video showing that? The navigation is recalculated when buildings are placed down so villagers will only pass through a building if one is spawned on top of them. Then they would only pass through it to leave the structure.

Did not find any documentation for this yet for i am posting this here. I have problem with new buildings i added. I wanted to create a specializes resource collection point ( only for food). I did every possible BP stuff but got stuck in game when i want do build it, debug says " ERROR : No valid job "

But it should have build tag.

Please any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I tried adding my own resources. When I send a villager to the resource for the second time, I got the following Engine error

LogWindows: Error: appError called: Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Array.h] [Line: 752]

any idea why this happen?

Okay, dont know why, but it´s a problem with the async load for the hat skeletalMesh. Async Load for Montage or the ToolAssets returns no error

Hi Arran, I wanted to try this out on a Note 9 to see what it runs like. I got it loaded up on the phone, the game launches but I just see the loading screen. I know this is a pretty vague description but do you have any suggestions on what I might have missed in trying the game to run on the phone?

I can’t get the video to start when this happens, and it’s ultimately not too important

You have to modify some parameters according to the demo video. The easiest I’ve found is to disable Vulkan