1080 Died, What GPU next?

Hey guys!
My current gpu has officialy died some minutes ago.
I need a new gpu and wanted to ask directly here as it is quite hard to find any videos specific to unreal developmenty
I have two options.
The rtx4080 super and the 7900xtx.
As I only used nvidia until now I know that the support is quite good in UE. How about this amd gpu? Does someone use it for development? If yes, do you have any big issues with it while developing games?
Thanks in advance!

Watch stuff on Linus Tech Tips, and JayZ TwoCents:

Nvidia really messed up naming to confuse everybody,

I’m not familiar with current AMD GPUs, I’m using a 1070TI.
Yesterday a friend (gamer, not developer) recommended RX 7900 XT to me.

Having a bit more VRAM is very welcome to me. I’ve not researched if it supports current technologies like DLSS or raytracing and such (nvidia offers unreal plugins!) which as a game dev you might want to implement in your games at some point.

Personally as a game dev and VR gamer I always run into VRAM limits (modded skyrimVR, resident evil series) or performance issues on higher resolutions in VR. I read that even the cards in nvidias 4000s series can struggle with both, just to add to that they are very pricy.

Following this topic.

1 Like

Simple answer. Get 80SUPER.

IMO go for a mid range gpu with enough vram. A 4070S will easily be good 4+ years for half the price of a 4080S.

Personally considering something like the 7900xt for my next upgrade when ever my 4 year old 3080 dies.

I have 3070 and it works great. However if one does not want used cards and recent nvidia 40xx do not look good for me.

1 Like

Thanks guys for all the answers, I will go with the 4080 Super