100% GPU usage in Editor (problem)

In Editor CPU is 5-10% and the GPU is 100% 50-60°C. In Game Mode, same. I’ve updated my GPU’s software and even I limited GPU resurces in AMD Radeon Software. Same problems.

RAM: 8 GB
CPU: i7 3770S
GPU: AMD R7 200 (2GB DDR5 1150 MHz 73 GB/s)

“R7 200 is not a card model” - I know, but that are the details. It’s 240.

I compared with Unity. I now that are to different in performance, but! in Unity the CPU usage is the same as in UE, but the GPU… in Unity… is 20% in Editor Mode and 30% in Game Mode. So…? It’s a BIG difference.

I know, but that are the details. It’s

This is a pretty old entry level GPU that has 1/4 of the recommended minimum performance for UE4:

470 was the min spec as of the engine release. It might be more hungry these days.

Do note that the viewport spits out 120 fps by default (I believe this is the default setting), you can cut it to 30fps so the GPU does not have to run at 100% trying to reach that framerate.

Hit tilde to get to the console and punch in: t.MaxFPS 30, see how that works out.

1 Like

Is this on an empty level?

R7 200 is not a card model, it’s the entire series. Judging by the clock, I’d say it’s the lower end of the spectrum, perhaps r7 240 or maybe r7 250. Both are low power entry cards that are 6-7 years old now and both would struggle with anything moderately complex or high frame rate.

It’s a weird pairing because 3770s is a great CPU and will perform well even today!

A wild guess, I’d say is one of those off the shelf gaming Dells with custom power supply and a super strange motherboard. They’re always fantastic value once you replace 1 or 2 components.

yes, even if the scene has just 2-3 primitives.

Maybe changing to “Realtime Off” does something?

Thanks. Now, with Realtime OFF, it’s 50%. If I rotate camera with mouse 75-99% and if I change the camera position… 100%.

Realtime Off means, that it is not processing the graphics when you dont manipulate your viewport (on my pc its 3% of the gpu load then, and with fps locked at 60 its ~15% with realtime on the third person starter template). My next suggestion would be to cap your fps. Still its a bit weird - I have a Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
EDIT: Didnt see the answer =D

Preventing using console command every launch you can set fixed frame rate in projectSettings