0xc0000142 UnrealEditor.exe - Application Error

Freshly installed Epic Launcher and UE 5.3.2, get this error, cannot proceed. Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it? Tried complete un and re-install, system is fully up to date (AMD-based, Win10 Home 22H2 19045.3803). Thanks.

Greetings @PaulN82

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Community Forum. In regards to the error, take a peek at this post - Error (0xc0000142) when running epic games launcher for the first time? - #3 by Stephen_Ellis. There’s a Microsoft link and some information on the cause. I hope this helps!

Hi @FrostyJas . Thanks for that direction. I have now tried all the steps given in that post, and unfortunately the error remains. Is there anything else I can do to narrow down the cause of this error? Thanks. If it helps, the error happens with UnrealEditor.exe. I have tried running it with various compatibility options, as well as admin, but no difference.

Have you tested the application while running it in compatibility mode, by chance? If not, I’d try that next. We may have to play ‘process of elimination’ a bit.

Ok, I have just tried each compatibility mode for Win8, Win7, Vista, and also run as administrator. The error remains the same.

@FrostyJas No worries, I have just gone and ordered a new and considerably more powerful PC that hopefully will not have this problem. I doubt my last one was up to the job anyway after having looked at the recommended minimum spec! Perhaps that was part of the problem? We’re talking 12 years old hardware…

I see. If the specs of the computer were meeting the requirements on the UE5 engine, it should’ve worked fine. Now, some slower end systems can definitely strain with projects. Especially the larger ones. If your system hardware wasn’t up to those standards it can certainly cause crashes, errors, etc. I’m happy to hear you’re getting a new rig! It’s always exciting to get new toys! Enjoy! Thank you for being part of the community!

I dealt with this issue all weekend. Freshly installed Win 11 – same issue. I installed Linux onto the same PC, and received an illegal operation segfault when trying to run ./UnrealEditor.

The error is caused by old outdated hardware.