Incoming VR News! - Feb. 4 2016 @ 2PM ET

WHAT
We’ve got some exciting new things to discuss with you all this Thursday. Stay tuned for more information and mark your calendars!

WHEN
Thursday, Feb 4 @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown

**WHERE
**www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
Chance Ivey, Sr Community Manager - @anonymous_user_c5ad40d01](https://twitter.com/iveytron)
Mike Fricker, Technical Director - @mike_fricker](https://twitter.com/mike_fricker)
Sweeney, Founder & CEO - @TimSweeneyEpic](https://twitter.com/timsweeneyepic)
Donaldson, Sr. Designer

Questions? With an ambiguous title like that, I’m sure you might :slight_smile: We’ll be taking a few as things unfold, so hang tight for now, everyone :wink:

Archive:

Yay for Mike! You know we need our regular dose of Fricker :smiley:

Question: What’s on the stream (except for you and Mike)? :rolleyes:

Mike Fricker hype, woot!

Question 1 - why isn’t Epic actively pursuing optimizations for mobile VR (including instanced VR rendering on Android and iOS) and not making any effort to create and release samples for mobile VR, similar to what Unity did for their VR samples (assets/scenes with interactive GUIs and various locomotion types, various methods of input handling, etc. from basic scene to a final example that incorporates it all) ?

Question 2 - why isn’t GL ES 3.x available already in the binary builds of UE4? It’s what Oculus recommends for Gear VR, not GL ES 2.x. Plus ASTC compression only works with GL ES 3.x as I recall.

Question 3 - how to adjust virtual IPD to match physical IPD of Gear VR or Google Cardboard or whatever-vr-device-will-be-coming ?

Question 4 - when is the anime shader (inks included) going to be integrated into UE4?

Also, where can I watch this offline? (or rather after the stream is over)

Thank you.

Oooo… Lots of big names up there. Showing off the new VR features in 4.11? A new VR game announcement? Deciding to go all in on Magic Leap and drop all other VR platforms? :stuck_out_tongue:

pivot location editing for static mesh, I would be happy with that, please MR Sweeney make it happen!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Im only into ue4 for VR games so this is pertinent!!!)

Woot, I dreamt special guests on the stream would be Sweeney and John Carmack, showing off a low-price, high-performance, light-weight consumer-grade HMD with natural motion controllers; with the goal of giving a few of them away for free to random watchers on the stream. But as the stream starts, the world explodes as the universe cannot contain itself by the concentrated mass of awesomeness by having Mike, and John on the same couch at the same time :smiley:
And there he is, Sweeney appears on the list :slight_smile:

@motorsep: VODs are available immediately afterwards on Twitch, and some days later (after editing) on YouTube.

This a really banal question to ask on what is probably an exciting VR announcement stream, but can explain best practices for the VR camera refactor in 4.11. How do we properly adjust player height (half-capsule + base eye offset?, actual camera placement?) how do we handle Vive vs Oculus tracking space differences elegantly…

[QUESTION] Is there a special setup for multiplayer with motion controlled game? In 1v1 game run into a problem where 1 player will control the hands of both players in a match. Is there a way to allocate each motion controller and it’s movement to its parent player? talked about this same bug in the beginning of the last VR stream so I know there is a fix.

What about VR SLI? Will it be supported in 4.11 or later?

I bet on VR editor integration (for moving/scaling/rotating and maybe placing new actors).

PS: Would love to see late-latching, VR-SLI, MultiRes-Shading, ATW and other optimizations, too. :slight_smile:

Image posted with the Twitter announcement of tomorrow’s stream:

Looks like in-editor VR support!

Same question here as and also about Oculus SDK 1.0. How is going to work that because I suppose that first Oculus should release it and it seems that is not going to happen until end of march when first Rifts be delivered.

Another question is about sensor fusion tech that I hear about from Epic last year.

Would love to try that, unfortunately it will take some time to get the controls…

If there are other controls that we could use with Rift and others I will be using right after launching!

Yes, the left monitor appears to have a world space details panel! God, I really hope that’s what it is.

VR mode editing would be a way more natural fit for UE4 with its realtime editor than say, Unity.

why VR?, focus on 2d!!!

Because its awesome stuff regardless! :slight_smile:

Either way, can’t wait to see the exciting news! It’s always nice to see mike on the stream, the enthusiasms always follows around him!

Imagine blueprint editing using VR! Can we have 3D representation of the nodes, so we can cook some fancy spaghetti!

Editor in VR would be amazing :smiley: Pretty much exactly how I imagined it, too, given the screenie.

@Chance: I’ll be joining for that Bullet Train announcement… make it happen :smiley: