Dino specific damage from a projectile. Is it possible?

Hi all!
I’m working on a little freeze ray mod and have ran into a snag. The idea is a new rifle that “freezes” what is shot using a modified plantpoison buff which I do have working. The problem is I would like for the freeze ray to only affect certain creatures. The rest I would like to take normal damage. Is this possible and if so, how? Also, if possible I would like the creatures that are freezable to take no damage or aggro when shot with the freeze ray. I am assuming it may require editing the dino specific bp’s but not sure nor have I edited any dino bp’s yet so no clue where to look. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

A possible way of doing it, with physical projectiles, could be:

&stc=1

Rifles, and guns in general, don’t use projectiles, they use traces to determine their hits combined with some other algorithmic witchcraft going on.

You probably could adapt the above to a gun.

-WM

Awesome! I have already re-parented the sniper rifle to the rocket launcher BP (how they did the tranq dart gun) so I have projectiles working with it already. This looks like it may be the solution, but how do I implement this? Does this get added to something existing or is it a new creation similar to creating a new texture? Not too familiar with graphs.
Many thanks!

It goes on the graph for the projectile. If you had multiple effects you wanted, one freezes, one stuns, one rages(like the Giganoto), then like any other bow, you would need to use multiple projectiles and you could change the buff that gets applied per projectile type.

As far as stopping agro, and preventing damage while the buff is active… you could achieve that with a buff, I don’t know for certain though.

-WM

Thank you again! I think this allow me to do exactly what I want to do. I will look into this tonight when I get home from work.

Works perfect! You’re awesome! Next question, is there a way to add a check to see if the animal is tamed and if so change the damage applied to the tamed creature?

As far as I know, and I don’t know why - a simple boolean would be appreciated - but checking for a targeting team integer greater than 50k or 100k or something should provide a usable check for tamed creatures.

I think spike walls do a similar thing, they check the targeting team and if it’s greater than 50k then they don’t apply damage.

Just from ******** around in the DevKit, it seems once a type of creature is spawned, a targeting team number is assigned to that class, then all instances of that class share the same targeting team. It may be a little different in a client, but it’s something to note.

You’d probably also want to do an equal targeting team check so that if the targeting team matches the one from the projectile then it won’t apply the damage or the buff, but that’s up to you really.

-WM

Hey thanks for responding and again for the above graph! Unfortunately I am still a major noob when it comes to graphs so I have no clue what 99.99% of the nodes do or what “pin” (just learned that one lol) to create them from. It took me a bit to realize that you could only place certain nodes off certain pins so I spent a lot of time searching for things that could not be created off the particular pin I was attempting to create it on. Put it this way, it took me about 4 hours to duplicate your graph! However, I did learn quite a bit and finally got it working with much thanks to you. Now I only have no clue what 99.97% do lol! BTW< that’s not a crack at you, you have helped IMMENSELY! There’s just A LOT of freakin nodes depending on what you drag from!

Sadly for me however the spike wall graph looks like someone was playing connect the dots, while hog-tied, in the dark after smoking crack. LOL! If I knew more about the nodes I’m sure it would not be so chaotic looking and a little easier to understand.

Let me show you what I have come up with so far and I hope maybe you can help me fill in the blanks.

The plan is a giga turret (based on rocket turret with slower fire rate) that does more damage to a wild giga than a tamed one. I already have it to where the projectile will kill any giga wild or tamed with 1 shot. The damage is at 1 miiiiiillion dollars (base damage) lol, yeah i know that’s a pathetic Dr. Evil impersonation :slight_smile: I want it to be for defending your base against wild gigas. Ultimately I would like it to do a slightly higher damage to tamed gigas than it would to any other animal but I want it to annihilate wild gigas. Right now I have it to where it gives the base damage of the projectile to all other animals and the graphed damage to gigas wild or tamed. If the only way to do it is to give the tamed giga the same damage as a non giga, so be it. The main goal is for it NOT to be a pet killer, just base wipe protection from wilds. Or the ultimate (albeit expensive as hell) wild giga hunting weapon if mounted on a platform.

This is what I have so far and how I understand it: (obviously this wouldn’t do jack to a giga since its set to rex for testing purposes. I have about 30+ lower level rex’s and have been wanting to “cull the herd” for some time now so I figured I’d kill 2 “birds” with one giga turret :slight_smile: Anyway, you get the point.

Event hit =
Projectile impact -
Break hit result: =
what did it hit - it hit an actor, actor is =
Cast to PrimalDinoCharcter =
The actor is -
Class=
Rex -
Branch =True = Yes, it is a rex give this point damage -
Damage=x.

^ This works beautifully! Does 3500 damage to any and all rex’s and does the projectiles base damage defined in defaults to all other creatures.

In my mind it seems like this should work although it does not. I’m hoping that maybe I just have it linked wrong or you will see something I do not.

Event hit =
Projectile impact -
Break hit result: =
what did it hit - it hit an actor, actor is =
Cast to PrimalDinoCharcter =
The actor is -
Class=
Is Tamed -
Branch condition =True = Yes, it is tamed give this point damage -
Damage=x.

Now, unless the branches do not work the way I think they do (which I’m guessing is the case since this doesn’t work), this, in my mind should work:

Branch Condition =False = No, it is not tamed -
Next branch condition = True = It is not tamed, It is a giga, give this point damage.

When I do it this way, it applies the tamed damage to any giga whether its wild or tamed so it looks like it using the condition from one branch or the other but not both. Please tell me there is a way to do it similar to this and not the spike wall way lol!
BTW, I had to promote “Hit from direction” and “Hit info” to variables else it would not compile.
Also, If you know of any decent tutorials that explain the nodes please link some to me as I have not been able to find much.
Thanks again,
P0k3 out!

Try disabling context sensitive when right clicking… then say that again.

&stc=1

Ignore the errors, it’s just the DevKit ******** because there are missing variables on the damage nodes.

For a basic run-through of that graph, what happens on hit, it checks if the dino is a rex or gigano, if either is false it applies a set damage amount. If either is true it proceeds to check if either is tamed or wild, if it’s tamed it (and belongs to an enemy) applies a set damage amount, if it’s wild it will apply the set damage amount.

Three different paths, two different dino’s, three different damage amounts.

-WM

Works perfect thank you again!
Couple things to note, I could not find a hit event like the one you have there so I used the other one combined with the break hit result and it works fine. How do you add the one you have? Also, unless there is a damage value defined in the “weapon config” section under defaults of the projectile, the non checked animals (anything other than rex & giga) do not aggro. They receive the damage value defined in the graph but they do not aggro. Will be good for the stun gun :slight_smile:
Thanks again!

Dark Blue pins (structs) can be broken apart and contained within the node they’re in. Just right click.

-WM