Rendering a translucent particle / billboard over everything else?

Hello everyone! For my game, my character has a glowing sword. Since the game is a bit stylized, cranking up the bloom effect won’t cut it for the glow effect. What I want to do is create a starburst texture and have it placed on top of the sword asset. Problem is, is that it will clip through assets since it is occupying 3D space, like everything else.

I was wondering if there wa s away to have this particle system / billboard to render on top of everything? I remember back in UDK the first person hands / weapons were actually rendering on a different layer.

How would I go about doing something like that?

Thanks in advance,
~

Not possible anymore due to the deferred renderer. If the material is translucent though you’re in luck, there’s a setting in the material under Translucency to render it in front of everything else even when its behind other pixels. Can’t remember what the setting is called though…

Be aware that it will literally render in front of EVERYTHING, even if your character is behind walls, another player could still see them.

That should be okay for my purposes. If you are able to find it, let me know!

Under the Translucency section of Details tab on the left is a checkbox for Disable Depth Test. Check that and the translucent material will render over everything else in the scene.

4 Likes

thank you very much!

This is Usefull!