Mixamo has been acquired by Adobe

Mixamo has been acquired by Adobe, they will work on integrating Mixamo products and services into Adobe Creative Cloud.

What do you think, will this make Mixamo more or less expensive? :wink:

That’s an odd choice for them, the rumor they were looking to buy The Foundry made more sense. Mixamo is the type of acquisition that they would get once they are more established in 3D, not as the first thing.

Eh… never used their services, I just don’t see the benefit.

I must admit, my first thought was “Yay, they weren’t bought by Autodesk!” :slight_smile:

I’m very happy. I get some free stuff (a bit like Epic giving me $30, when they went free), and they get a big company behind them. I’m hoping they’ll put a load of work into Face Plus, and make it work with UE4, as that seems to be the most obvious gap in character modelling for UE4, at the moment.

Photoshop still seems to be the preferred finishing touch for materials/textures, and it’s interesting to see the way Adobe have worked 3D into their pipeline. It’s all looking very exciting! :cool:

Like Jezcentral I’m glad it wasn’t Autodesk. And I really hope Adobe buys The Foundry as well and let them continue their work with Modo in the same direction they’re going.

I too am happy I’ve been given 20 animations for free, however I’m really unclear about the sub plan of Adobe Creative Cloud, from what I can make out I can either subscribe to a pay monthly or pay up front for a year but I’m unsure if I can cancel the monthly sub at any time. If I can’t cancel at any time then Mixamo has just lost a customer.

Funny. This exact sentiment was posted in our company game dev Slack room when the e-mails went out yesterday, along with a lot of idle speculation about whether Adobe would acquire an actual 3D package in the coming future to finally start competing in the 3D space (Foundry wouldn’t be a bad choice for them to acquire, Lightwave could probably be bought reasonably and has no overlap with Adobe’s product catalog, 3D Coat is great and is a tiny company, etc.)

But, as a monthly All Access subscriber, I went from 50 downloads a month to 300, so the short term benefits of this are very positive for me. I no longer have to be careful about how much I download.

By itself, this purchase doesn’t make a huge amount of sense for Adobe except as a value-add to keep Creative Suite subscribers motivated to keep subscribing. Combined with the purchase of another company or a 3D software package, though, it would signal a serious attempt by Adobe to finally enter the 3D space.

And though I’ve had my ups and downs with Adobe over the years (I started using Photoshop in 1991!), Autodesk really needs some competition that can go toe-to-toe with them and keep that beast in check.

What are the pricing? The same as the other Adobe products ($19/month)? Does Mixmao comes with autoweight, so one dosent get any weightpainting issues?

They haven’t announced how it will fit into CS yet or how it will affect the pricing. From the letter they sent out, it sounded like it wouldn’t move to CS until the end of the year at the earliest. For now, it’s still a separate service with the same pricing as before, but you get more for the same price (more download tokens, more autorigs, etc.). All Access Annual subscribers (who already get everything included) will have their subscriptions extended until the end of the year.

It will be part of their creative cloud plan, so here in the UK it costs £17 a month for a single app, but I’m still unclear if it allows you to unsubscribe at any time or requires a full year sub.

They have announced that it will be part of Adobe Creative Cloud (CS has been discontinued) and you can no longer purchase anything from the Mixamo site, however you can still sign up for a free account.

Yes, their rigging service automatically handles weighting.

And it’s pretty decent, though if you’re starting with an unrigged mesh, you don’t get facial controls. If you start from Fuse, then you get facial blendshapes and a more consistently good rig.

Rats, I’ve just noticed that the Mixamo magic animations have been taken off the Marketplace Trello board. That’s a shame. :frowning:

Oh please no! I like the fact that you can actually go out there and “buy” Modo. I really dont like the monthly subscription thing…

AD now is as bad as EA, probably even worse…**** you AD for killing Softimage!

Anyway, I’m really curious to see what they’re going to do with Mixamo…hopefully expand the tool itself and really be the place to go for fast rigging and mocap :slight_smile:

Yea… I’m not exactly a fan of the fact that they cancelled the CS line and moved everything to a sub based model. Personally, I would have preferred for them to be aquired by Autodesk.

Agreed. I do not understand all the hate for Autodesk. Lets say all their product disappeared tomorrow a lot of people would struggle. Yes I know about Modo, lightwave, blender and all the others but most of us use either max or maya on a daily basis. Never mind all the other autodesk products like revit, inventor and autocad. I do wish they didn’t cost so much though, its a big hit on my annual budget.

Is the stand alone mixamo fuse program free now?

Good lord, it certainly looks like it. Fuse on Steam

Run, don’t walk, to get hold of this. This is a brilliant prototyping program.