User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 126

Thread: Alice in Tokyo Wonderland - Blueprint Only Action Hack n' Slash

  1. #1
    1

    Alice in Tokyo Wonderland - Blueprint Only Action Hack n' Slash

    Happy to show off what we've been working on....I'll be brief with this post but I'll be updating frequently....




    Vote for us on Steam...We all Know how important getting on Steam is.....
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=317245256

    I'll be doing a Dev diary every two weeks or so going into the logic behind the Blueprints. I know there's quite a few questions on 3rd person Hack n' slashes I've seen on the forums so I'll help best I can. I'm No Pro. But I'll let you know how I went about it.


  2. #2
    0
    Unreal Engine Support
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    636
    Howdy President,

    Great work on your project so far! I am really liking the different take on Alice in Wonderland. Keep up the fantastic work and i will be sure to stop by when you post an update. Have a great day!

  3. #3
    0
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    704
    The sword materials are using too much emissive colors , it looks like a groovy weapon or some sword from a Disney game. Is the game arenas based or will it be some real levels with platforming also ?
    I like the fast gameplay, it seems fun to play.

  4. #4
    0
    Swords need to be bigger. Just kidding.

    Keep it up.

  5. #5
    0
    Galeon - it'll have real levels...it's just looks like an arena fighter to test out the gameplay...

    Speaking of which...here's a Gameplay video...I'll go into some Blueprint stuff next Video....


    Vote for us on Steam...We all Know how important getting on Steam is.....
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=317245256

    if you've any questions or would like to see something in particular let me know....thanks...

  6. #6
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    127
    This looks great! I subscribed to the thread:-)

  7. #7

  8. #8
    0
    Venged, SkacikPL....Thanks....
    and thanks for showing the game on the Twitch stream today...super cool...

    Name:  ScreenShot00005.jpg
Views: 15727
Size:  583.2 KB
    close up of the Kendo guy....used him to practice on how to use the Quixel Suite...

  9. #9
    0
    Animation is pretty badass. Ninja Gaiden in short skirt.
    Check my working title: The Locked Room here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...he-locked-Room

  10. #10
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by starseeker View Post
    Animation is pretty badass. Ninja Gaiden in short skirt.
    They're quickie animations for now...I'll be reworking all of them. Thanks...it only will get better from here....


    I'll have a video showing off how I made the big sword attacks/collision, root motion stuff this week....for those curious...

  11. #11
    0
    Hi, the game look wonderful keep going!!, I did vote on Greenlight!
    Creepy Races - Rally Cars meet Halloween! -
    Unreal Forum Thread


    Vixens From Outer Space - Space Amazons! Cosmic Horror! Action!

  12. #12

  13. #13
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by erWilly View Post
    Hi, the game look wonderful keep going!!, I did vote on Greenlight!
    Awesome...Looks like we'll need it...the Game has slowed down to a crawl on Steam....Grand Reopening once I build a larger audience I guess....


    Quote Originally Posted by reok View Post
    Keep it going!
    Ha, not a chance I'd stop....Thanks...heading to bed now but once I wake I'll record then post the 1st making of Video......

  14. #14
    0
    Hi,

    have you tried Baynetta 2. I think it can be your inspiration.
    Check my working title: The Locked Room here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...he-locked-Room

  15. #15
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by starseeker View Post
    have you tried Baynetta 2. I think it can be your inspiration.
    I have not made it to Bayonetta 2 yet...I'm currently (slowly) getting through Batman Arkssassin Creed...errr Shadow Of Mordor...

    Here's the first melee fighter tut...
    I've have the next super soon.....


    Summary is just use a Combo Float/Int to hold your combo # and increase it whenever you see fit....Switch on Int handles the rest by going to whichever Animations you've set up.

    I don't use the sections in Anim Montage like I'm likely supposed to but once again this is just works for me.

  16. #16
    0
    Subbing this thread right now.
    You're making a very good job with the game. Keep up the amazing work.
    You have my vote on greenlight
    By the way love the weapon's size the most
    "sic parvis magna"
    @Meguido

  17. #17
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Meguido View Post
    Subbing this thread right now.
    You're making a very good job with the game. Keep up the amazing work.
    You have my vote on greenlight
    By the way love the weapon's size the most
    Thanks...We need it on Greenlight...really slowing down there so it helps a lot...thanks...

    I suppose we'll just keep it going...



    Summary is using Anim Notifies to signal when to move to the next animation if you've pressed the button during the previous attack. Also a reset combo if you've not pressed the attack.

  18. #18
    0
    This is very interesting, thank you for the tutorials. What I struggle the most is handling the weapon impact with the enemies, how they react to them and making the hits feel powerful and fun.

  19. #19
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by draquod View Post
    This is very interesting, thank you for the tutorials. What I struggle the most is handling the weapon impact with the enemies, how they react to them and making the hits feel powerful and fun.
    I use an Enum to state which kind of damage my enemies should take and when the collision overlap happens....the rest is in the animations to make the hits feel powerful and fun...

    The next video (this week) will have the enemies taking damage from traces...so I'll go into detail soon....

  20. #20
    0
    Moving on to more fun things like Enemies....



    Summary is just a Float that you minus damage from to know when an enemy is dead....then kill them...

    Also to add Floats and what not to Events just click on the event and in the details panel Click new...Just like adding any variable really...
    Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 14505
Size:  121.7 KB
    "New" button is bottom left

  21. #21
    0
    the other part of Hitting enemies....

    Summary - Create a capsule to handle the collision on your weapons....Create Functions to turn on the collision when needed and send the info to change the health of an enemy on the Capsules overlap event.

    The "Clear Hit Array" function I have before the Traces are turned on simply removes all entries from the array...example below...
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 14506
Size:  40.6 KB

  22. #22
    0
    Awesome Action Sequences President! I'm digging that Sword. I always wanted to make a hardcore Action Game. I'm working with Blueprints Only so, I'm keeping my eyes this one daily. Just Amazing.
    TheGameDevStore.com | TheGameDevStore.VR: MMO + Interactive Asset Store + RPG|FPS Game Layer w/ VR Support.

  23. #23
    0
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    376
    Nice dude, really nice. Paying attention to the feel of the moves and the impact of the attacks just based on video, it's hard to tell but it looks good. Really cool. Actually hard to get it right. I can't play to feel how it plays but it looks like fun for sure..

  24. #24
    0
    Update time....
    Didn't work on too much these week as I've doing the shipping for the Tokyo Wonderland Comic Book....but still managed to try out the Lock On Decal and Fresnel to make the Locked on Target stand out more....
    Name:  LockDecal (13).jpg
Views: 14626
Size:  780.9 KB

    Quote Originally Posted by TechLord View Post
    Awesome Action Sequences President! I'm digging that Sword. I always wanted to make a hardcore Action Game. I'm working with Blueprints Only so, I'm keeping my eyes this one daily. Just Amazing.
    Thanks Tech... Great work on your end as well...if memory serves (and it doesn't always) you've some Maze work that I was digging....I have the Wonderland Card Maze to create later in this game and I certainly liked your approach. Anyways feel free to ask whatever questions you need...I wouldn't be able to make this game if it weren't for awesome people like you sharing awesome ideas and approaches to problems. Thanks for the kind words....


    Quote Originally Posted by Obihb View Post
    Nice dude, really nice. Paying attention to the feel of the moves and the impact of the attacks just based on video, it's hard to tell but it looks good. Really cool. Actually hard to get it right. I can't play to feel how it plays but it looks like fun for sure..
    Thanks Obihb....feels like a dirty little secret for us game developers on how many hours we spend just playing our own games for the kicks....so for sure I'm just staring at all the things I don't like in it but yeah it's a blast right now...really need a new enemy though which is what I'll be working on next....after that I'll likely be able to put a demo together so hopefully I can get your opinion on some things....

  25. #25
    0
    Sorry for the hold up on the AI video...I wanted to wait until after the AI Twitch (in 12 hours) to see if I'll be changing how my AI is handled...
    otherwise I've been working on new a new level...It'll be our Vertical Slice...we've a lot of placeholders and it'll be a great change of pace to bring some things up to their game ready version....
    anyways... Card Ninja's....
    Name:  CardNinjsa.jpg
Views: 14173
Size:  250.2 KB
    Name:  CN.jpg
Views: 14122
Size:  233.3 KB

    I work super loose and do most of it in the modeling but since the Concept Art (if those sketches can be called that) comes from me I don't need a bunch of details to know what I meant...so should have more people to beat up soon other than the Kendo Guy...and I'll get the AI video up soon......

  26. #26
    0
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    704
    Thank you for the blueprints details
    The game is coming along nicely, and i like the ninja card design , it's a good inspiration from Alice in Wonderland.

  27. #27
    0
    Unreal Engine Support
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    581
    Great combat and animations in general. This looks like a really fun game with great aesthetics. Look forward to playing.

  28. #28
    0
    The relationship between Parent/Child Blueprints....


    Summary: just some base level knowledge on Parent/Child Blueprints....I'm sure there's a ton more you can learn about them....But still super useful for creating games and saving time. Create 1 brain for all your enemies in the Parent class and finalize the brain in the Child Class saving you from 1000 copy and pastes....

    Quote Originally Posted by Galeon View Post
    Thank you for the blueprints details
    The game is coming along nicely, and i like the ninja card design , it's a good inspiration from Alice in Wonderland.
    Agreed Galeon, I really look forward to the next set of places and enemies we're moving on to....it's a lot more Wonderland feeling....so it'll show of the mixing of Japan and Wonderland better than the previous places have....

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hardister View Post
    Great combat and animations in general. This looks like a really fun game with great aesthetics. Look forward to playing.
    Thanks Steve, We started with the combat as it's the most important and have a lot more to improve on as all the animations thus far are just placeholders....It'll be a lot better very shortly as we start moving into finalizing plenty....
    I look forward to you playing it as well....

    For those checking out the video if there are any questions of problems let me know...Thanks.

  29. #29
    0
    And Enemies that can Seek and DESTROY!!!...not really but they seek and attack Alice....


    Summary : A lot of stuff we did in previous videos, just in the MyCharacter(Alice) Blueprint....A reset that's called in Animations or on Landed... We set up a Nav Mesh Bounds so that the enemy can figure out how to navigate to the player so that they may hit them. Once within range they Attack Alice by turning on Collision set through the Anim Notifies... Cast to the Character to let them know they've been hit and how much life to lose....A lot "more of the same"....but it works for now....

    Let me know if you've any questions or concerns....Thanks....

  30. #30
    0
    This is fantastic work and thank you so much for all the videos! You have my vote! I look forward to more updates and vids!

  31. #31
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Raventp View Post
    This is fantastic work and thank you so much for all the videos! You have my vote! I look forward to more updates and vids!
    Great to hear...thanks for the vote...we'll need it....Update will be up tomorrow for the Lock On...tried recording it today but forgot the "stop recording" button was set to "-" and I put in a negative value toward the end ruining the video...HA...I will record it again tomorrow and upload it...

  32. #32
    0
    Hi President,

    Marvelous job, really, and thanks for the videos, great stuff!!!

    Definitively got my vote, keep it up because this is pure gold

  33. #33
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas3D View Post
    Hi President,

    Marvelous job, really, and thanks for the videos, great stuff!!!

    Definitively got my vote, keep it up because this is pure gold
    Oh Far from gold but thanks for the kind words....
    I've seen some of your videos before on Youtube...Cool work...I'm looking forward to trying Facial Animation and your videos just got me re-excited for it...likely a ways a way though for me...anyways...Thanks again especially for the vote...we'll for sure need everyone of them we can get....

    Thanks....

  34. #34
    0
    The hack n' slash system you developed has always been a thing that I had in mind, so be able to see the behind the scene for me its pure gold

    Thanks for the appreciation regarding the facial animation, actually I'm about to release ( well, offering as a service ) a quite cheap blend shape based lipsync animation, but completely agnostic to characters body/shape/rig, means that the animation is not driven by the character rig but externally, and its working pretty nicely...and ( most important thing ) lipsync animation can be retargeted to every rig
    Hopefully, since holidays are almost here, I'll finish the video in a week and open a thread under the WIP / Got Skills? Looking for Talent? section, so keep an eye on it

    Keep us updated with the dev diaries!

  35. #35
    0
    The lock on....


    Summary : Event tick that's asking if we are locked on...once we are it turns Alice's look rotation to the Lock target as well as the View...We find a target based on Distance and recheck for a Lock Target when the Enemy dies...

    I did remove that Sequence node and Delay in the recheck and just called my Lock Off event then straight to rechecking for Enemies...works fine thus far so likely it's just old code...



    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas3D View Post
    I'm about to release ( well, offering as a service ) a quite cheap blend shape based lipsync animation, but completely agnostic to characters body/shape/rig, means that the animation is not driven by the character rig but externally, and its working pretty nicely...and ( most important thing ) lipsync animation can be retargeted to every rig
    Hopefully, since holidays are almost here, I'll finish the video in a week and open a thread under the WIP / Got Skills? Looking for Talent? section, so keep an eye on it
    Nicolas, Sounds awesome...I'll be watching out for it....Thanks.....

  36. #36
    0
    Your dev logs have been seriously great and a real treat to watch; Thank-you
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

  37. #37
    0
    Infiltrator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    16
    Wow this is really awesome and inspiring. Also really action packed. I can't wait to get back into making combo systems. Great job on this.

  38. #38
    0
    Changing Lock Targets by the right joystick....


    Summary: We make rotations from our Joystick and shoot off from the player character with a Sphere trace...set the lock target and ignore the last lock target for a short time...use a 2nd sphere trace in case the player meant the person to their lock targets left rather than from the player characters left or so...not too bad really...


    Quote Originally Posted by KitatusStudios View Post
    Your dev logs have been seriously great and a real treat to watch; Thank-you
    Happy it helps anyone...as I'm sure you are with your blog and e-books...thanks for sharing that info with everyone...


    Quote Originally Posted by Cryslin View Post
    Wow this is really awesome and inspiring. Also really action packed. I can't wait to get back into making combo systems. Great job on this.
    Thanks...great job to you...I was a fan of Shulu and The Spirit Cryslin...Gotta say I looked over Blood King when I saw it in the WIP because I'm not a horror guy..but now that I know it's you I'll be checking it out for sure...

  39. #39
    0
    Just watched your dev videos and they've been super helpful. Thanks for showing how you went about doing the combo system and lock on

  40. #40
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    Thanks Tech... Great work on your end as well...if memory serves (and it doesn't always) you've some Maze work that I was digging....I have the Wonderland Card Maze to create later in this game and I certainly liked your approach. Anyways feel free to ask whatever questions you need...I wouldn't be able to make this game if it weren't for awesome people like you sharing awesome ideas and approaches to problems. Thanks for the kind words....
    Hi President. The Blueprints Maze Generator (Network-enabled) is ready. Its based on this the Depth-First Search Algo highlighted on Mazeworks.com. Its an Actor that Adds components to build the maze, so you can position it anywhere in the level map and spawn the maze. I use a Linear Byte Array to store a two-dimensional matrix of rooms, each element holding a byte value that represents the walls west:1/south:2/east:4/north:8 the makes up a room. This data structure can be use to construct level maze in many different ways. I personally generate my dungeon rooms wall by wall with Statics Meshes (which could easily be Wonderland Cards, entire buildings/structures, destructible meshes, whatever):

    TheGameDevStore.com | TheGameDevStore.VR: MMO + Interactive Asset Store + RPG|FPS Game Layer w/ VR Support.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •