Same material, different appearance? + light bleeding

Hello all

I have a couple of problems with my graduation project that I’m doing at University. The project involves importing an architectural model from a current residential project and creating an arch-viz out of it (then integrating it with the Oculus Rift DK2). But anyway…

In this image, I have two walls on top of each other. I’ve assigned them both to use the default basic_wall material for testing purposes, but when baked they both have different shades of white which is quite visible. Both also have the same light map resolution @ 512.

And another image of another pavilion. Why does it seem very yellow on the walls but normal white-ish on the chimney and floor?

And an extra for good measure, this time on the outside where two different static meshes meet:

Additionally, I have light bleeding/seeping in the same area where the roof meets the top of the wall and I have no idea what’s causing it.

Background info:

All assets are set to 512 lightmap resolution

Using one directional light set to stationary

Using one skylight also set to stationary

YES I have a light importance volume

The wall static meshes are made of mostly planes. I’ve heard light bleeding can come from using single planes, but each wall has two planes spaced apart to represent thickness just like a normal solid wall would. They’re only open at the top and bottom.

The model came out of Sketchup and went into Blender for lightmapping. I use a modified process based on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5yc-bKbHyc

Is my problem somehow related to this? https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4706-Adjacent-planes-are-lit-differently

Appreciate any help, pointers or info that comes my way

Cheers

Can we see your lightmap UV’s? It looks like the resolution is not high enough or the UV’s are wrong.

This has been discussed quite a few times on the forums and the AnswerHub.

You will want to make sure that you’re lightmap UV islands vertices are on grid lines. (You can find more information here: http://worldofleveldesign.com/categories/cat_udk.php#lightmapping)

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?8491-Baked-Lighting-Variation-Between-Static-Meshes

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/92819/lightmap-uv-alignment.html

You will also want to make sure that you do have a lightmass importance volume in your scene around your objects.

To even out the edges on the modular pieces you’ll want to adjust a couple of things in the World Settings:

Indirect Lighting Smoothness: 0.6 (something around this level)
Indirect Lighting Quality: 2

Environment color: Changing this slightly up away from Black will also help with some of the shadowing around the seams.

Give these things a shot and if you have any questions feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

Cheers for the help

I’ve used the world settings you’ve suggested but nothing changes after building so no luck there. I already had a light importance volume in there too. I guess I’ll merge meshes together instead of making them modular to get rid of the seaming. Not a big deal, but seems pretty silly :frowning:

Light bleeding is present still though, and its definitely got to do with my lightmaps. I ran a test by building with the skylight and directional light set to movable and the bleeds + seams disappear. I think it might be a grid problem like you’ve mentioned so I’ll have a look into that. Here’s the lightmap for that particular roof for reference:

Hi ,

Having your mesh on the grid will give you better results for this definitely. When you setup your grid if you set up the vertex snap for your UV to target a 128 lightmap resolution, any resolution you use above that (256, 512, 1024) will not have to have the lightmap UVs redone. (The snap grid spacing you’ll need for 128 is 0.0078125)

This is where the world settings come into play with lightmass and being able to reduce the seams using Indirect Lighting Smoothness and Quality.

I know this was mentioned in the other thread but the reason the seams are there is because lighting is baked on multiple threads that cause this issue and by having an item combined in your modeling software it can keep these items being baked on the same thread.

This definitely is a good way to give a quick test and see what the lighting bake should resemble but it’s good to remember that movable lighting isn’t baking anything into a lightmap. You may already know this but in the event that someone else reading doesn’t. :slight_smile:

Give the grid snap in your UV a shot and if you’re still having issues please let me know! :slight_smile:

Okay! So, I’ve tried to align my mesh/verts to grid lines in Blender and…no luck, it didn’t work. Still had the exact same light bleeding happening where the roof met the wall.

Something interesting happened though. I noticed my hard drive had filled itself up to the brim and it completely ran out of space somehow (which is unlikely since I only a few programs installed). I tracked down the space hogger and it was the DerivedDataCache folder…which somehow grew to a whopping 39.1 GB. So I removed the folder, did a restart and went back into my scene and rebuilt it.

…and the light bleeding disappeared?!

Granted I still have some shadow blotchiness, but I can fix that. Why did removing the DerivedDataCache folder fix the light bleeding?

I did another build with nothing changed and…the light bleed reappeared. I’m not sure what’s going on anymore

So I fixed the problem, it was because I was building at preview mode. I never bothered to do anything higher than preview quality because if it was wrong at preview, then it would be wrong at higher qualities right?

Lightbleeding at preview:

Medium onwards fixes it:

High:

Production (160 mins for a single build though)

Looks like I’ll be using Medium quality for testing from now on