why does the Blendspace record doesnt work anymore with Mixamo characters?

Hi,
i used to make my characters with mixamo. Then there was a ue4 export fbx. as known now, they abanded that fbx. But the normal fbx works fine right now in ue4.16. but,… when i try to make a blendspace it goes wrong suddenly. Thats new to me. Then the legs are very weird, and the mesh is stretched at the hips to feet.
I made a video to illustrate. hope somebody knows what to do!
[video]Mixamo weird to ue4 (again) - YouTube

This is what Mixamo did to my character when I put it in their auto rigger. The mesh looks all wrong, I was told that the tight stiff looking mesh was something to do with the weighting. Because the mesh dosen’t look relaxed or natural, I also set everything to Skeleton on the bones except for the hips. but Mixamo gives no root bone either when you put it through their auto rig. So there’s no twist bones, and no root.

How do I fix this little disaster? Mixamo auto rigger has problems with it. I don’t know if Mixamo put
any weighting on his mesh for The shoulders are all flat and is not natural looking, also this rig has no TWIST BONES in it. The Epic Skeleton have the twist bones in them, probably to allow them to maintain the proper natural human shape during the animations ! There also seems to be a problem with the hips and appear to be twisted and all wonky which throws the body shape all off and this is probably because there’s no root !

As for his uniform, I just chucked any old texture on it for the time being as I don’t have a texture yet for
his top, I also have to find him some shoes.

Look at how far the hips are out !!

How much would it cost to fix up his mesh so he can finally be Unreal Engine ready. I don’t care about him being Mixamo Ready because hes not ready for Unreal Engine with his mesh and hips looking like
this. I’m tired of messing about with Mixamo’s Auto Rigger because I’m not getting good results because of missing bones they not putting in their auto system since they withdrew Unreal Support is causing issues in Unreal Engine when you go to animate these meshes. They look bad.

Not sure if you guys were aware, but, Adobe pulled all support with Maximo for UE4. There is a plugin on the market (or free, i forget, since, i dont use this since support dropped), but, there is a plugin for this.
Dont expect to get Maximo working “as intended” without some major work on your part. Support was dropped. They only support Unity.

I dislike retargeting. Make sure you have all your bones set to animation or skeleton. Looks like something is attached to your root bone.
The best way for me is a longer route. In maya. I take my ue4 mannequin, and un bind skin. Delete mesh. Keep skeleton. Import mixamo character, and moved bones to match ue4 skeleton.
Click on characters mesh, and duplicate. He should remain in that pose. Now delete mixamo skeleton. Now I have a ue4 rigged character, and a mixamo character.
I can retarget now to my ue4 rigged character. Also I always add root bone to mixamo skeleton. It seems a best practice for me to keep everything standard, and rigged to ue4.
Paint my own skin weights, and be done.

thanks guys :slight_smile: unfortunately its not an easy fix as i see! shame mixamo has got always these problems. I wish i downloaded more characters and animations before they changed the fbx.
But still, its weird that the new mixamo fbx works fine when i import an animation in the game. Then it looks awesome. Also the home made characters. But when i try to blend some of the animations, then it looks like the legs are half a meter in fronnt of the character, and the back is is draaged down all the way to the ground. If i can fix that, al my problems are solved :slight_smile: Hope somebody makes a nice youtube for this, because half of the world is struggling with this. I will try the pluggin you mentioned, thank you :slight_smile:

It was working perfectly until some day Adobe bought Mixamo, then things changed … at least for Unreal users …