Landscape Auto Material

Hello,
I have been emailing the team who created LAM for a week now with no response. they updated for the new 4.15.1 so I know there alive. Question is, I would like to know how to add collision to the rocks that the landscape auto material automatically adds to the landscape when creating. I found the material rock used and added collision but when I play the game it don’t add it and I walk through the rocks. I’m set up as a 3rd person game. if I manually add 1 of the rocks to the game, it works. please help as I’m trying to do this all alone without a team. thanks.

This is explained in last section of how to use LAM on their website. This is probably the reason for you not getting any answer.

Deathrey,
yes I’m aware of the website and ive watched every video and when through the set up but it doesn’t explain why it would work, how to make it work, or where to even attempt to set it up to make it work. it doesn’t even give thoughs options in the website anywhere.

There is a section called “Limitations”. In the last paragraph it reads that collisions for grass objects are not implemented for performance reasons. It also suggests you to manually add colliers to prominent large meshes.
To sum it up, you can’t have collisions for objects, that are placed with grass tool.

Hey @DPatrick @Deathrey

Facing same problem here when attempting to enabling collision in the rocks on instantiated foliage system. But as you said for performance reasons or engine limitation it’s not possible in any way enabling collision over foliage system meshes! Correct? Or Not?

No collision makes the spawned rocks useless since the player can pass through the rocks like a ghost.

Besides foliage system only, I believe a system should be implemented using ‘Random Streams’ blueprints nodes to spawn trees, trunks, large foliage (non grass) and rocks or various custom mesh added in default panel tab in the static mesh component slot.

I think, could be great a support section for Landscape-Auto-Material in the Forum!

A quick fix is to replace the stones with grass meshes (name them the same as the stones). Stones could then be added instanced with the foliage tool.

I saw this thread and checked out of the tool. That first video which is not rendered looks like it has lot of FPS issues was hitching over and over again maybe his or her machine wasn’t up to the task. The second video is smooth but is pre rendered. Looks like it does a nice job but I dont see why you can’t find the objects you want to have collision and set it up at the mesh level like you can do when you don’t use this tool. Interesting note they made the same tool for Unity and wonder what issues come with it.

LAM is not really usable for games, at least not out of the box. Take a look at Procedural Landscape Ecosystem instead. It works the way you would expect.