Hanging a physics object off of a pawn?

Hi y’all,

I’m interested in “hanging” a small object off of my character using a physics constraint. Think of a satchel hanging loosely off of someone’s shoulder, or a shoelace trailing onto the floor, or a chain or a ponytail or such a thing. I have a static mesh component, which is parented to a physics constraint, which is in turn parented to the player mesh.

As it stands, the static mesh seemingly isn’t attached to the player. Instead it hovers in midair, disassociated from the player. It reacts when the player runs into it, though, which is half of what I’m looking for.

I’d appreciate some help, or a redirection to some kind of tutorial on this. I haven’t been able to find anything yet.

Have a cool day.

You can use the ART tools for maya. There are special bone types that will give you exactly what you are looking for.

Interesting. I work in Blender, though. I wonder if there’s a similar system? Thanks for the suggestion.

It doesn’t sound like your static mesh component is very static. If you use a skeletal mesh instead you can use AnimDynamics or pure physics (physics asset).

so if you want to simply include it as part of your character…

then AnimDynamics (or the not yet available Immediate Mode Physics) will help you.

If you are trying to use a Constraint, parenting has no effect. You have to attach bodies to it: