Texture size in 2017 modern PC Games

First of all, hello guys, I’m a new member to your community and eager to learn more and more about Game Development.
I have a question related to Texture size on models in modern PC Games, especially those coming in 2017.

What is the preferred texture size for models in a game? (not characters, but things like furniture, statues, stones, trees and etc.) so that they look fairly real?
I’m using Allegorithmic Substance Designer + Painter to texture them, and I would go with 1024 x 1024 for objects and 2048 x 2048 for characters. Is it good?
Or is it safe to use 2048 x 2048 for objects and 4K for characters in a new game, so that they would look more realistic?

Thank you very much, your opinion would be most welcome.

I would say for current-gen it would be about 2048x2048, but remember there are some instances where you can get away with 1024x1024 on certain models. Obviously, there are 4k ULTRA settings for many games now but it is not really necessary for you if you’re just starting out or learning.

I think in addition to bigger resolution textures we are slowly moving back to smaller texture sizes, and use additional noise/masks to counter tiling/repetitiveness.
Additionally detail albedo/roughness/normal/whatever will also help giving lower res textures more oomph instead of having to add all that detail in the ever-increasing texture maps.
Along with more and more procedural stuff, I’m guessing the next few years could be very interesting.

To be a bit more on point with OP’s question, general rule of thumb has been 1024x1024 per 1 square meter.
though with the amount of detail we want on our content nowadays a 2048/2048 per 1 square meter also makes quite some sense.
Then add additional noise/detail/masks and you can stretch even 1024/1024 (or lower) content quite far.

Edit: actually, this shows rather well that even with a small texture you can do quite a lot
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6kEmV

Texel size, not texture size - is the most important factor. How big is that pixel going to be on screen?

Battlefront got away with 512x512 for a lot of large environment assets with good enough texture detail.

Thank you, I’ve decided to go with 1024 x 1024 and 2048 for the more important models

Thanks for posting this, Luos. Now researching Naughty Dog’s texturing workflow. Lots of informative videos to watch.

speaking about informative, just came across: Micro Fabrics in Substance Painter by Jonas Skoog – Texturing.xyz
which seems to be quite interesting and related to topic :slight_smile:

Resolution is second to specularity, metallic, reflections, art design.

*roughness