Custom player collision - for Two bone IK solutions

So I’ve been testing out two bone IK to make the legs be planted on the ground instead of magically float when you have half your body sticking out of say a stair step.
I’ve followed the two bone IK tutorial and checked out the Content examples and I have gotten it to work. But as I’ve understood so far, is that it best work with meshes without collision on them. But then what is the best approach to make something similar to what we see in Skyrim and watch dogs as examples of games that have this feature.

This is the problem/issue I first encountered: As you can see the tracing work and it tries to plant the legs there, but instead you start hovering with IK lock since the player capsule is on the step above. I can probably make the collision capsule thinner to counteract this, but then it will look weird when you start pushing up against other objects/persons.

Can you somehow use like the rag-doll collision for the player collision, or something similar? or do you need the capsule? How do they do it in other engines and or games? I’ve read that the devs said the only player collision for now is the capsule, but I still wonder how they usually do this.

Bump - I have the same problem, though less pronounced (I tuned the offsets a little better, but it still causes problems).

I’m not sure why this happens versus the trench coat character with IK, which doesn’t have this problem (the IK graphs are the same in my case).

Its probably because the example uses a mesh without collision on it. I played around in Skyrim and it seems like they dont use a capsule as they do in UE4, and more like hit boxes for different parts of the body. It seems like its on their June roadmap, or is the per poly skeletal collision something else, not related to this? And is there an ATA on this, I really hope they will add this in 4.3? This also seems like something that would be a part of Persona.

As fanzypantz says, the problem is because of the collision capsule.

I think the proper way to fix it is to get rid of the capsule altogether, build a PhAT asset for the character, and set the settings on the character to use the kinematic bone-bodies as collision. Not sure if it works as I’ve been focused on other stuff, but that seems like it should work.

A hacky way to do it might be to move the capsule up so it only goes down to the knees, and then use the IK traces to determine walkability. But that sounds like a lot of work.

RESURRECTION.
If anyone gets to here from reddit/google its worth noting that the issue above is quite simply happening befause the body is - as always - attached in place to the capsule.

You have to apply the offset of the lowest foot to the hip so that the character slumps down, set that foot to 0 so it isn’t adjusted, and the other foot offset should just increase on its own.
if you want to be technical, the increase is the same amount the hip went down. Technically you could calculate all the positions in 1 go, which makes any IK much smoother then when you try to let it auto adapt since the next offset will happen in the next frame…