Rendered spline issue

I’ve got a cylindrical spline that’s rendered outwards like a ribbon that runs through my level, however the material attached to this is red but for some reason it’s rendered on play as more pink than red, particularly the bottom of the cylindrical structure.

Does anyone know what’s going on and how to rectify?

Its almost impossible to figure out the solution to an issue like this without seeing at least a screenshot of the problem in the level and the material in question. Also we need information about what kind of lighting setup you are using. Ie is it directional or point lights… static, stationary or movable?

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for replying:

Theres a stationary directional light lightsource and a stationary skylight actor in the map.

Please have a look at the following screenshots of the problem in game and the material:
8c2d73bbe6ca85fed6fe43aebef9fb21a3ab6f8a.jpeg

87cc1a71c176e60abc1d5b4036cbde4b4fab8324.jpeg

As you can see its just a basic red colour but at the bottom it turns pink, which is what i want to remedy.

My guess is this is actually sky lighting bleeding in from under the landscape. You could try placing a giant shadowcasting cube under the landscape to test that theory. Make sure you rebuild lighting.

I’m an absolute beginner you’ll have to explain what that giant thing is?

I just mean place any type of box static mesh geometry under the landscape or set the landscape to cast 2 sided shadows. You can find box meshes in the content browser if you enable the option in the lower right to show Engine Content.

Ah ok thanks, I’ll give that a try!

The “cast two-sided shadow” feature currently does not work. Please up-vote the bug here so it will be addressed. It’s over a year old.

I’ve stuck a series of massive white cubes that run the entire length of the rendered spline, underneath the landscape, it unfortunately doesn’t make any difference whatsoever.

By using the unlit mode of the material it shows up nicely like a plane which is fine for my needs however its supper jagged like something straight out of minecraft, how do I remedy this, all settings are at epic and my gfx cards an nvidia k4200.

It could actually be diffuse lighting bouncing off the landscape itself as well. Try going into your landscape details and set diffuse boost to 0 and then rebuild.

Also with the cubes you placed underneath, its important that there aren’t any gaps, so it may be better to use one cube scaled large enough rather than relying on a series of small ones to connect.