Ocean 4.26 underwater post process issues

I cant figure out how to extend the post process, its not working as unbound for underwater, and I cant find access to it. The underwater section of my map ends at the end point of what looks like the post process box attaches to the spline.

Hello! I just had this question myself and went through a lot of experimention to figure it out… you need to adjust the “Collision Extents” for the WaterBodyOcean actor. From what I understand, the post processing only works within the collision bounds, so if you change one, the other will be affected.

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the info!

Do you know if there is a similar tweak for the WaterBodyLake/WaterMeshActor?

If I increase the Channel_Depth to 2000 (in the default 4.26 WaterTestMap → WaterBodyLake example) then it causes a similar offset issue where the underwater post process doesn’t engage until you are near the centre of the lake. Unfortunately, there is no ‘Collision Extents’ equivalent to tweak.
There’s presumably an ‘extent/bounds’ setting somewhere, but I can’t find it.

I was able to replicate your bug by creating a new landscape and just adding a lake: when I move the camera to the lake floor or just under the waves, I didn’t see any underwater post processing effects in those areas. There is a “Enabled” checkbox for the lake’s “Underwater Post Process Settings” , but it’s already checked… and unchecking it just removed the effect entirely. The only fix I found was adding an ocean to the landscape and set the splines so that it’s outside the landscape (so it doesn’t deform any part of the terrain) - this automatically fixed the bug without having to change any collision extents.

However, this fix is limited to lake depths above [about] 30,000 (should be fine for most lakes!), as it doesn’t seem to render the underwater effect below that. Even if I changed the Z Collision Extent for the ocean to 100,000, nothing changed… in fact, no matter what I changed the Z Collision Extent to, it didn’t seem to make any difference. Only changing the X and Y made a difference (or at least a difference I could see, as the post processing box for the ocean changed when I changed the X and Y, but not when I changed Z). From what I see, changing the Z collision extents is probably a bug in the plugin itself.

Tl;dr: add an ocean around your entire landscape (unless you already have one), and that should fix the error as long as your lake isn’t just a really thin, deep ocean.

Thanks for the tip ixm.ibrahim (and the mini investigation), it works.

I didn’t really want to add a whole body of (hidden) ocean in my scene just to make the lake underwater transition work, but I’ll happily use this trick for now, until there is a more permanent fix.

Well done for finding the hack.

Having the depth issue with the ocean body, the terrain max depth from 0 is about z: -25500 but the ocean post process effect (lower bounds) stops at z: -20000 leaving a gap. I cant figure out anyway to extend it in negative z aside from creating additional post process volumes.

I had this same issue with the lake and I found that adding more spline points fixed things.

Old post, but I followed this video and was successfully able to fix the post process depth issue without adding an ocean body to the scene. Specifically around the 5:30 mark. Let's Build the RPG! - 16 - Unreal Engine 5 Water System Beginner Tutorial - Lakes and Rivers - YouTube

Changing the Channel Depth seems to increase the post process depth.

Side note: Your landscape seems to need “Enable Edit Layers” checked for this value to dynamically edit the landscape geometry.

Same issue with River body. Trying lake first then River worked too.

Thank you for your post it solved my problem. Using UE 5.3.2

One thing to note for others that may find their way here: I did not have “Affects Landscape” enabled and as such was unable to change the Channel Depth. So need to enable “Affect Landscape” first, then change the Channel Depth and then disable Affect Landscape. All good.

Cheers

1 Like

As unintuitive as that was, it worked. It does make sense to some degree as the “Affects landscape” option makes the value of Channel depth go deeper while also extending the post process volume. Thanks, this should be marked as the solution!