Low FPS in a empty scene with a High end laptop

Hey there I hope you can help me my Unreal Editor runs at low fps. If I made a new level in a empty scene so I just see the black screen and the grid I just got arround 40 fps. And when I start something like the effect cave I just get around 16-25 fps. Do you have any tips for me.
Here are my specs:
Alienware M18x r2
8x Intel(R) Core™ i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
2x Nvidia Geforce GTX 675m
16gb ram

Tested with high settings in viewport.

Hi SPFaff1994,

What drivers are you currently using?

I use the latest beta driver its version 340.43 but with the official version before I think it was 337.88 I also had the problem.

Have you turned off the Realtime Rendering? Many find that this helps with FPS.

yes but I only get around 10 fps more.

Hi SPfaff1994,

Try some of the suggestions here:

Hi SPfaff1994,

We have not heard from you in quite some time. I am marking this as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing this, however, please comment here and let us know. Thank you!

Same here. I’ve forced SLI with nVidia profiles manager, it helped a little but it looks still too slow.
GTAV runs fine on max settings except anti-aliasing and postprocess set to medium.

I’ve set my laptop to use performance mode (not power saving). Where is the problem?

Hi MadKrzysiek,

Did you try the suggestions from the forum thread above? Can you post your dxdiag here so I can take a look?

DXDiag. Used ProfileGPU, it appears BasePass render is taking a lot of time.

link text

Do you have your laptop plugged in while using the editor? If not, do you have the battery save feature active on your laptop? Most laptops are designed to inherently save power when not plugged in, so this may be at least part of the performance concerns. Additionally, laptop video cards are typically not as performant as desktop cards, you may be experiencing some errors due to this. Try turning down your scalability settings and see if there is any change in performance.

I haven’t battery right now (using power supply). All possible profiles are set to “maximum performance”.

I’m unable to check this right now, but there is only small improvement when changed scalability settings to Low. It looks like there is a big problem even with simple scenes for NVIDIA GT(X) 750 family. Resolution reduction (for example to 1280x720 helps a lot. On my test scene I had 11 fps on 1080p, but on 720p had 20 fps with SLI enforced using AFR2 frame rendering method. It looks like shader related problem.

I’ve checked with profiler and found that most consuming is Occlusion Cull and Render Query Result (but that’s probably caused by long previous frame rendering time).

Is it possible that your laptop is reverting to an integrated graphics card? If not, try using a single GPU instead of the SLI and see if you see any performance difference.

No way. After disabling SLI, there is a huge drop in FPS.

What other programs do you have running while using the editor? The Unreal Engine is a heavy software and requires more resources than games, so if you have any other programs running at the same time try turning them off and see if this helps.