UV's not importing from 3Ds max

Hi,

I recently brought my mesh from sketchup to 3ds max to set UVS, After finishing all of my UVS for all mesh components in the scene, i exported and proceeded to bring my newly unwrapped mesh to Unreal 4.13. I usually do not import materials so i get the default Unreal world grid material on my meshes. But this did not happen with this mesh. I checked the UV’s in the mesh editor, and the UV’s are blank. I tried different FBX versions but got the same result. I’ve been using this method for years and was working perfectly fine in 4.12 until my project failed to open due to this error: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-32774)

[EDIT] I know that the problem only exist in UE 4.13 because the UV’s are perfectly fine within Substance Painter and Substance Designer.

Max version: 2017
Sketchup Version: 2016

Thank you for reading.

Hi Unique,

I found a workaround for this very issue here: 4.13P3 Texture Bug - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

I don’t know what exactly causes this error to occur and that is currently under investigation. If this solution doesn’t solve your problem let me know!

Sadly this work around does not work the way that it should. I get incorrect lighting once i import this work around into Unreal 4.13. But i am glad to know that it is known and is being investigated. :slight_smile: Thank you

Same problem here. I can confirm that it’s a problem with fbx import. 3ds Max fbx with two UV’s it’s imported in UE 4.13 as a mesh with UV 0 empty, and UV 1 with information.

Hey, I was able to get your asset working. The reason the lighting was incorrect is because you had to unify your normals prior to exporting from 3dsMax. I’ll email you back your asset. For the sake of saving time I collapsed all of the meshes into one but the workflow/solution will remain the same.

Thank you so much!!

I had the same issue and I solved it by putting the unwrap modifyer on 3dsMax under the skin modifyer. It seems like everything on top of the skin modifyer is ignored.

Hope this helps you :slight_smile:

1 Like