Shootout multiplayer - joining

Hi,

Can anybody successfully host and join session with Shootout game launched as standalone ?

Im unable to get it working from editor or launched as standalone. I set DefaultEngine.ini to DefaultPlatformService=Null

All I get is infinite Loading dialog, no erros, no logs. Same in 4.9.2

Any advice ?

Hi tas,

I’d like to preface this by saying that Multiplayer Shootout is not working in several ways, mostly involving UMG setup. It was created in 4.7 and never properly updated to UMG changes in 4.8. There are tasks in our system for this, but I don’t have a timeline for any fixes.

That said, I’m unable to reproduce specific problem you’re reporting, in 4.9.2 or 4.10 Preview 1. After updating DefaultEngine.ini, running a Standalone or Launched instance will pull up game for Server hosting. Joining brings up empty ServerList as expected.

However, it looks like you’re able to run game, as indicated in first image. When do you get that, and when do you get image in right image? Additionally, I’m not clear on how you’re getting two players in either Standalone or Launch, as editor only allows one Standalone or Launch window at a time. Have you disabled Use Single Process?

My suggestion would be to attempt a simple Host/Find/Join solution in a new project and see if you have same problem. Let me know what happens with that, if you can. Thanks!

Hi ,

I simply run game twice from rightclick on project file → Launch Game. Thats how I get two windows running game. Wouldnt it simulate situation when two players run game on their machines ?

When I host game in one window, then I can see it in server list in other window. Once clicked on server name, I get loading screen that never goes away.

Also, how can I debug such situation. Log files dont have any info about hosting/joining process, or I simply missed it.

thx

Ah, okay, I apologize; I thought you were launching it from inside editor.

I’m still not able to reproduce this behavior, however. To reproduce, I created a new instance of Multiplayer Shootout from Launcher’s Learn tab. I edited DefaultEngine.ini to DefaultPlatformService=Null, saved, and right-click Launched .uproject file twice. On first instance, I clicked Host, and on second I was able to find Server and join it with a minimal wait.

Please try packaging project for Development > Win64 and open two instances that way. If same issue occurs, please and attach logs from packaged game.

If not, we can try it this way instead: get UE4Editor.exe and create a shortcut. Then edit properties to include a space and then location of your MultiplayerShootout.uproject at end of Target field, followed by " -game". Run that twice, then log files from project and attach them here.

Thanks!

I run precompiled editor from Launcher. I created shortcuts with -game -log flags. Client that is trying to connect to host is timing out after some time ( 60sec?).

Here are logs. I enabled verbose netlog. Opened 7777 ports in firewall. What else could it be ?

Thank you

link text

link text

If you turn off your firewall, does same issue occur? This looks like a firewall issue.

you are right, i tried on other machine, it works fine. Ill investigate my firewall. Thank you

Hi … thanks for these steps, which works when I have two instances on same computer. But when I try with two computers (over LAN or Internet), client fails to connect due to a “Error: Connection Lost” for Client. I’ve even turned off firewall from host -and- edited ‘DefaultEngine.ini >> DefaultPlatformService=Null’. Any tutorials to help with this? Thanks so much in advance. :slight_smile: Jason

Hey EneJay,

We’ll go ahead and track this on other post you created:

Please find logs requested in this post and add them to your post. Thanks!