Renderer crashes from 4.6.1 to 4.7.0 P6

I upgraded to 4.7.0.P6 hoping it would solve many bugs i am undergoing. However, it cannot render my game anymore.

Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. (0.5 s)

This message is posted and the game is kind of locked up. No crash actually occurr or other output is shown… pff
Then when trying to close game it crashes on releasing a texture in: FTexture2DResource::ReleaseRHI on:

// It should be safe to release the texture.
checkf(Owner->PendingMipChangeRequestStatus.GetValue() <= TexState_ReadyFor_Requests, TEXT("PendingMipChangeRequestStatus = %d"), Owner->PendingMipChangeRequestStatus.GetValue());

As the comment says, it should be safe…

Because it crashed, i had to close everything. Then when restarting editor it fails to import everything i created…

Hey simmania -

A couple of question to help us track down this issue for you. Are you using the GitHub version or the Launcher version? How are you building your project in Visual Studio (win64 Development Editor / win32 Development / etc.)? Can you identify the offending texture and possible upload a copy here? Finally, Can you upload your log file from the project (should be in the Saved Folder and if you got a full crash logs should be available at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue?

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

• Win64
  • Building from visual studio
  • Used launcher to upgrade

Four.seven has not created any logs in the path you specified, 4.6.1 did create many crash reports though.

In the saved section of 4.7 there is however a log that contains some useful info.
What happens in 4.7 is, that the game kind of locks up, I get a driver error crash.

The texture release is not a big of a deal. I think it occurs because the d3dDevice is lost due to a driver error that occurs with 4.7. As a result Creating the texture fails and so, releasing it results in a crash. This seems like code path not often the case, therefore might result in this crash?

Hey simmania -

Can you upload a copy of your DXDIAG?

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

link text

Hey simmania -

Can you try to update your Graphics driver to version 347.52 and after the update verify the engine version with the Launcher (or recompile from GitHub) and see if you still experience the issue?

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Hi Eric,

I did so (updated nvidia to newest 347.52) but it did not fix the render lockup freeze in 4.7p6. I also updated to 4.7p7 but not changes.

Hey simmania -

Is it possible for you to share the project which is generating this error for you? If you need to keep the download link private please feel free to message me on the Forums. In the meantime, also try deleting the Saved and Intermediate sub folders out of your project’s directory. This will force a recompile of all shaders on the engine’s next load of that project and may clear up an issue caused by compile errors.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Removing the Intermediate and Saved folder seems to have fixed the issue. I still get ‘D3D11RHI: Timed out while waiting for for GPU to catch up (0.5s)’ warning roughly 20 times at startup but the driver does not crash anymore.

Hey simmania -

I am glad we got you back in the engine again. For the final error you may want to run a verify on the engine version via the launcher to double check the file installations.

Eric Ketchum

Actually I have come to the conclusion that the driver crash is not gone. It has very much to do with the output hardware connected strangely enough. That is. I have a working setup of 4 monitors (4x FullHD). However, when changed for 3 FullHD projectors + 1 Monitor in FullHD it crashes after the first frame is rendererd.

Hey Simmania -

I have asked our Compatibility Team to look into this issue and need a bit more information in order to test correctly, can you let me know how many Graphics cards you are running on your CPU? Are you running in a SLI setup? You say 4 monitors and then 3 projectors than monitors can you let me know what connection setup you are using (All HDMI, DVIs, Display Ports…)

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Hi Eric,

It is a combination of Graphics card and output connections.

980 GTX with 2 Display, 1 DVI and 1 HDMI (All FullHD) = Ok.
980 GTX with 3 Display (of which 2 Full HD projectors and 1 Full HD Monitor) + Full HD projector on HDMI = Driver crash (347.52)

However, I have to let you know that 1 frame becomes visible, at that frame I do create 4 more Full HD render targets. So it may have to do with that. But the 980 has almost 4GB of available memory and I have not seen the threshold of 1.9 Gb been passed yet.
Furthermore, on a much lower end card a 780 GTX it does not crash with the same resolution setup, though the connections are different. Namely:
Out 2x DVI->HDMI In
Out 1x Display->HDMI in
Out 1x HDMI->HDMI in
This works fine.
However, I have noticed that resizing render targets at runtime will slow down the engine entirely and it will not catch up anymore. That is, if you create 5x512x512 render targets in the editor and use it on a a 5xSceneCaptuerer2D or you create 5x2048x2048 in editor and resize it to 5x512x512 at runtime, the performance is not the same after resizing, it will be slown down majorly!