Error MSB3073: Exited with Code 3

Unfortunately the error list sometimes gives useless information when build commands fail; this is one of those cases.

Does the Output window show any more information relating to the error? It often lists the complete output from the command which failed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

My problem is in Visual Studio 2013 when I attempt to build the UE4 project. I’m getting the error:

Error	6	error MSB3073: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development" exited with code 3.	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	38	5	UE4

I have a fresh clone of the UE4 solution. I downloaded the 2 supplemental zip files and unzipped them into the UnrealEngine folder. I ran the GenerateProjectFiles.bat successfully with no errors. I launch into VS2013 as administrator, set it to ‘Development Editor’ ‘Win64’, right-click UE4 project and select build. I have a screenshot of what I’m seeing in the editor (the green outline is mine to indicate where the cursor was going when double clicking on the error):

1>------ Build started: Project: UE4, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
1> The system cannot find the path specified.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command “…\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development” exited with code 3.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Clicking the error takes me to this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets

Well it must be a path issue. I manually launch the UEBuildTool.exe with the appropriate parameters and it seems to be building fine. Weird.

Yeah, it would be nice if the error told you what it was looking for :frowning:

Where is your UE4 installed to, and are you using VS2013 Express or Pro (or Ultimate)?

I’m receiving the same exact error on completing a fresh install of 4.4.3. May I ask if you found the path solution?

I’m running VS2013 Pro Update 4 CT2. Old 4.2 was running fine. Just deleted the whole unreal folder and re-did all the downloads multiple times. Nothing is getting rid of this build error.

1>------ Build started: Project: UE4, Configuration: Debug_Editor x64 ------
1> The system cannot find the path specified.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command “…\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Debug” exited with code 3.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Was able to build via batch.bat in cmd with “UE4Editor Win64 Development” arguments, but it sure would be nice to build inside VS.

Just double checked the NMake build directly and it seems to point correctly.

From Project File → Located in Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles
NMake is looking for ..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development