Distance Field Ambient Occlusion issue

It looks like distance field AO artifact to me. Do you have DFAO enabled or only post process AO?

Hello, Im having this kind of ambient occlusion “noise”. It happens when im at the interior of my cave, and it goes away when I go outside.
Any help is welcome!

Damian

Hi KiteKat,

I’ve set up a simple test scene and have been able to reproduce this. This is a known issue that Daniel Wright (Senior Rendering Programmer behind Distance Fields in UE4) responded to in this post: 4.6 - DFAO produce artifacts that look like tiles. - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

It looks like he is aware of the issue. I could not find a report ticket for this issue as well. Once Epic is back from their holiday break I will check in with Daniel and see if there has been any update with this.

Unfortunately, at the moment I’m not aware of any workaround. If your project is still a ways out, then disabling DFAO for the time being would probably be the best choice until this is resolved.

Thank you!

Tim

Hi KiteKat,

I spoke with the developer behind DFAO today and he says there are some improvements with 4.7 but that the bug still persists. There is no time line for when this will be fully resolved. I’ll update here though once a fix has been submitted.

Thank you!

Tim

Hi, I’ve got this problem with AO, coming with 4.13…do you mind if I ask you for help ?

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/489899/ao-problem-in-413.html