Editor crashes after stop playing

Hello there.

We’re experimenting some constant crashes after Stop the game in the editor for Playing.
Here’s what the error says:

MachineId:0D857B5843876363A3CD35A265E28B6A
EpicAccountId:ead3d1ccf6474e7baee90c6aaee1f981

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

Fatal error: [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.5\Engine\Source\Developer\MessageLog\Private\Model\MessageLogListingModel.cpp] [Line: 70] 
Critical Error PLDisplaceExtraSpeed //Game//Damian//Maps//UEDPIE_0_MapDamian01.MapDamian01:

KERNELBASE + 24684 bytes
UE4Editor_Core + 3174836 bytes
UE4Editor_Core + 1677199 bytes
UE4Editor_MessageLog + 241173 bytes
UE4Editor_MessageLog + 241423 bytes
UE4Editor_Core + 1077717 bytes
UE4Editor_UnrealEd + 4172422 bytes
UE4Editor_UnrealEd + 1898852 bytes
UE4Editor_UnrealEd + 6486374 bytes
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() + 3524 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.5\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2129]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() + 479 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.5\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:133]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() + 26 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.5\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:125]
UE4Editor!WinMain() + 249 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.5\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:201]
UE4Editor!__tmainCRTStartup() + 329 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]

We don’t really know when this start happening.
We have a single big lanscape with some props and lot of Follage, but nothing very dangerous.

Also, we’re using the last version (4.5).

Any help on this?

Thank you

Is your project logging anything with ELogVerbosity::Critical? Critical will trigger an assertion, which will cause the whole engine to shut down.

Also, can you try to compile the Editor in the DebugEditor build configuration? That may provide some more details in the callstack.

I think not. We never called that from code.

I have exactly the same problem. I’m testing around stuff for 10-15 minutes and then a crash happens after I press Stop. (The button does work several times before the crash).

I notice that the crash happens faster if I alt-tab somewhere else(the internet/visual ), do something and then alt-tab back to the engine and press Stop, usually if I spend a lot of time on the other program it’s a guaranteed crash.

I remember reading something about the engine not handling AMD too well ?? Do you think it’s related?

Hi Wisk,

Can you post your dxdiag here so we can have a look? Additionally, does this error occur in a clean project with no additional content? Thank you!

Having mostly the same issue here, playing in editor, press Stop and the whole editor freezes. To close the window, I have to go to Task Manager → Processes tab and manually end the process. An oddity I noticed was that while the Editor window was still open but , it was spawning CrashReportWindow(or whatever the exact name of the crash reporter is) processes(not the actual windows, just the processes) at a rate of about two every time the task manager updated the window. Once I ended the Editor process, they started closing at about the same rate. The thing is, I never saw a window. All it did was start a entry in the process tab for about 30 MB of memory each.

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the deleted post, that was intended for a separate issue and as such was removed. Can you post your crashlogs here? These can be found in the filepath \Unreal Projects\PROJECT NAME\saved\logs\. Thank you!

Sorry for the late reply, one thing I noticed is that the crashes occurred more frequently when my PC was being bogged down by a lot of programs, however I started using the Escape key instead of pressing stop, and I didn’t get any crashes.

Also I stopped having crashes entirely since 4.5.1, however I’m not sure if that’s because of any changes to the engine itself, or if my old computer just didn’t meet the requirements for the crash again. If it ever happens again, I’ll be sure to post the log.

Alright, here are the logs(all that I could tell that came from the crashes). There is also a massive amount of dump files not included. Near as I can tell, each process of the crash reporter created a dump file. Probably something around 50 or so files.

Hi Wisk, Axtel, and ,

Can you post your dxdiags here so we can have a look? Thank you!

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a dxdiag, and where might I find it?

Hi Axtel,

If you are on PC, go to your start menu searchbar and type CMD. Open the program that shows up (command prompt) and type in dxdiag then press enter. The program that opens can be saved to a text document. that into a . file and post the . here. If you are on a Mac, go to the apple start menu>about this mac>more info. The information I need is your video card information, RAM, Processor, video card drivers, and any other information you may feel relevant to your specific crash. Thank you!

Alright, here it is.

Here’s mine.link text

Hi Wisk,

I noticed that your graphics card and RAM are both under our minimum recommended specs. While this error may no longer be occurring, it might be beneficial to upgrade to at least a GT 450 or higher and 8 gigs of RAM to reduce the amount of performance issues you may experience in the future. Axtel your pc seems above this specification, what do you have in your level? Does adding any particular asset or blueprint seem to cause this to occur?

Hi, here’s mine: link text
It’s pretty random when the crash ocurrs, but it’'s also very common, like one time out of four.

Hi ,

Thank you for the information. What do you have in your level? When did you start experiencing these crashes?

Hi everyone,

We have not heard from you in quite some time. I am marking this thread as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing these issues, please comment with the requested information. Thank you!

Just the 4.5 puzzle game template. I had modified it to use hexes instead of squares, and I was doing two nested loops for spawning the hexes.

The crashes were random, I think one happened when I clicked Stop after ejecting from the controller, and another happened when I was still controlling.

They are no longer happening, although I have no idea what is responsible for that.